PDA

View Full Version : Tool Storage

Harvey Schneider
06-11-2007, 8:11 PM
I just wanted to share an idea I came up with for keeping my tools where I want them.
I got tired of my tools rolling of the ways of my lathe and crashing edge down on the concrete. I went to a local craft store and bought about a dozen high energy button magnets. I spaced these about 3" apart along the front apron of my lathe. My tools now hang by their working end, I can clearly see which tool I'm grabbing for, and they don't fall.
The magnets are good for about 8 pounds load which means they grab the tools securely. The magnets do sometimes come off the lathe along with the tool. This isn't really much of a problem, but if it gets too annoying a dab of silicon rubber glue should keep them in place.
I also put a couple of magnets on the housing of the controls at the headstock. There I store Allen wrenches, set screws, wood worm screws, knock out bars, etc. They all stay where I put them.
I was thinking of using a magnetic knife rack that I saw at a Kitchen center, but I like the button magnets better.
I hope you find this useful,
Harvey

Mark Pruitt
06-11-2007, 9:01 PM
Harvey,
Storing your tools in this manner will "magnetize" them. You may find it to produce undesirable results as far as the tool offering resistance when you lift it from the tool rest following a cut.