PDA

View Full Version : Gloat!!!

Jason Crees
06-11-2007, 7:31 PM
I was able to order a 5HP Jet 20" planer today for $1020 and I also got a Starrlett 12" protractor for $23...both from Amazon.

The planer is three phase and, like most hobbiest, I have single phase. So what is the best option? Change out to a single phase motor or invest in a phase converter. Is a rotary converter the best route? Thanks for your help!

Art Mann
06-11-2007, 7:45 PM
It seems to me that whatever solution you choose is going to add $300 - $400 to the cost of the machine. Is that really a good deal?

Jason Crees
06-11-2007, 8:39 PM
Art --

Even adding $300 in cost, I still think it is a deal. I have seen it in the $1700 range. I am also building a house right now and spoke with the electric company and there is a 95% chance that they can bring 3Ph power to my house for no added cost. My questions were more for a back-up if the 5% chance of not getting 3 Ph power comes true.

Jim Becker
06-11-2007, 9:43 PM
Congrats on your new planer!

Jason, I'd be really careful about that comment from the electric company about bringing in the 3 phase for no added cost. At the very least, it's billed very differently than home power is. Be sure you understand very clearly about what you are committing to! Were it me, I'd probably opt for a rotary phase setup rather than swapping out the motor if the native 3 phase doesn't work out.

Ryan Myers
06-11-2007, 9:48 PM
I would go for the rotary phase converter as first choice. Even if you can get 3 phase to your house, the electric rates are typically higher. Not to mention the cost of 3-phase electrical items compared to single phase are 3x the price too.

Congrats on the new tool! I would love to have a stationary planer.

Jason Crees
06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I talked to my electrician tonight and he said the same thing. I think a rotary converter would be good. It seems Amazon usually has some awesome deals on 3 ph equipment.

Mike Heidrick
06-11-2007, 11:11 PM
I was able to order a 5HP Jet 20" planer today for $1020 and I also got a Starrlett 12" protractor for $23...both from Amazon.

The planer is three phase and, like most hobbiest, I have single phase. So what is the best option? Change out to a single phase motor or invest in a phase converter. Is a rotary converter the best route? Thanks for your help!

A few of us have discussed the use of a derrated 10hp 3ph in and out AC drive to power a 5hp 3phase motor from single phase in. Could be another option if the RPC does not work out for you. RPCMan on practicalmachinest.com can help you out with a turn key solution RPC (just buying a solution) if you do not want to DIY and build one.

Bruce Page
06-12-2007, 1:39 PM
Jason, whenever this subject comes up people are always quick to suggest a VFD or rotary converter. I like the KISS principal myself. I have 2, 3ph industrial machines in my garage shop; one is a 2hp milling machine, the other, a 5hp engine lathe. I have been running them both off of a single heavy duty, static phase converter since the early `90’s. I have never had a single problem with it. The critics will point out that you will loose a small percentage of horsepower, I have never been able to tell the difference.
You can spend several hundred on a VFD/rotary setup or a couple hundred on the static. Your call.
http://www.phase-a-matic.com/

Ps, congrats on the new machine!

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-12-2007, 3:40 PM
Get the brand "Phase Perfect" and you won't have idle period electrical burn (cause it's digital) and you'll be able to run other 3 phase equipment as you acquire it

Mark Cothren
06-12-2007, 3:47 PM
Congrats on the new planer, Jason!

I don't mean to hi-jack, but since the discussion involves 3ph power...

My church is preparing to build a new building on recently acquired property and the building committee folks reported we would have 3ph power to our property for no additional costs. They were told the electric company preferred to run 3ph because it was actually less of a load on them. Was what they told those guys a "load"? ;) Is 3ph power actually more expensive for operating something like a church building?

Maurice Ungaro
06-12-2007, 4:16 PM
Gentlemen,
While Jason seems to have reason to gloat, there are no pictures to back it up. Even a stock image from the manufacturers website would suffice at this point. REALLY surprised the pic police did catch this.

Also, what's a Starrlett?

Michael Lutz
06-12-2007, 4:52 PM
Mark,

What voltage 3 ph? A 120/208V voltage system is often used at industrial facilities to even out loads, since it uses all three phases and can supply 120V single phase power without a transformer.

Mike

Bruce Page
06-12-2007, 5:17 PM
Also, what's a Starrlett?

Isn't it some sort of song bird? :p

Jason Crees
06-12-2007, 7:27 PM
Mark --

One thing to consider is that if your church wants/needs to put in an elevator, then they will need 3 ph. power.

Jason Crees
06-12-2007, 7:37 PM
The new Starrlett is awsome. Comes with a beautiful whistle, but leaves a mess on my truck. Here is the requested/required pic!

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9PBMNXXL._AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00062NEWS/ref=dp_image_0/103-2003551-0935857?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi)

Maurice Ungaro
06-13-2007, 8:21 AM
Most excellent! You are redeemed.