PDA

View Full Version : Cherry End Table

Jason Tuinstra
01-10-2004, 2:56 AM
Whew! I just got done with this cherry end table. The lacquer fumes still fill the air. This project completes a bedroom set that I made for a friend of mine. The design elements come from some Woodsmith plans that they liked. This is not my personal choice, as I much prefer the simplicity and lines of Shaker style furniture. Nevertheless, I have certainly come to appreciate this style of furniture, especially the leg details. In all, I had to make three sets. That represents more than a few hours.

When I first assembled everything, I thought the legs made this piece look a little bottom heavy. After having it around for a bit now, I’ve kind of warmed up to it. Regardless, it’s going next to a bed so if it is a bit heavy on the bottom, no one will know.

The drawers are made out of some odd colored maple that I had laying around. Not the prettiest stuff, but it’ll work. The dovetails were cut using my Leigh D4.

Seeing as how my wife’s due date is Monday, I’m glad I got this done! In a few days, methinks my time is going to be spent on other labors, so to speak! Stay tuned…

Jason

Mac McAtee
01-10-2004, 7:29 AM
Beautful work Jason. Very nicely done.

What is the little siliver button looking thing on one side?

Paul D. May
01-10-2004, 7:56 AM
Jason,

Nice piece of work. I think the legs look great! Did you use a wooden drawer glide of some sort of metal beasty?

Paul

Dick Parr
01-10-2004, 8:00 AM
Jason, Very nice work. You spent some quiality time on this table.

Tyler Howell
01-10-2004, 8:12 AM
Jason,

Is this fine piece going to stay out of the ladies room?? :p

I suppose this new baby is going to cut into shop time. :( Gotta establish those priorties. But you have all those other built-in baby sitters so dad can get in his mental health time making sawdust??

Good luck to your whole family. ;)

Tyler

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-10-2004, 8:27 AM
Seriously nice work Jason..........the Table is beautiful. Nice design, and wonderful choice of wood. Congratulations on the upcoming new arrival also. Thanks for sharing the Table, you do very nice work!

Todd Burch
01-10-2004, 8:31 AM
Jason, congrats on the expected Baby!! Got a name picked out yet?

Nice looking shelf clip sleeves. (Horton Brasses?) They add a lot to a piece. Your joinery and finishing is very nice, and your photos are very complimentary.

Good job - thanks for posting. Todd.

As an aside, I remember when we brought our son Kevin home from the hospital for the first time. After we laid him in his crib, my wife looked at me and said "Now that we have him home, what do we do now?" I said "He's sleeping, I'm going out to the garage!"

Sparky Paessler
01-10-2004, 8:54 AM
Great looking end table! Cherry is such a nice wood to work with. I'm sure your freinds will be very pleased. Congrats on the Baby.

Dave Avery
01-10-2004, 9:54 AM
Absolutley beautiful, Jason. Good luck on your other labors. Dave.

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Jason
Just absolutely beautiful.
Very nice design
Daniel

Jason Tuinstra
01-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Paul, I used a wooden drawer glide down the center. After throwing some wax on it, you would think it was one of the metal beasty things you spoke about. :D

Jason

Jason Tuinstra
01-10-2004, 11:39 AM
As an aside, I remember when we brought our son Kevin home from the hospital for the first time. After we laid him in his crib, my wife looked at me and said "Now that we have him home, what do we do now?" I said "He's sleeping, I'm going out to the garage!"

Todd, that's a great story. One of the many things I love about newborns is that they love sleep!

John Miliunas
01-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Jason, I'd never think that style wasn't your preference, as you did a wonderful job on it! Great detail work and fine show of craftsmanship. Hey, and congrats on your expected "project"! We'll be looking for pics of that one, as well. :cool:

Jim Becker
01-10-2004, 5:09 PM
Great job on both the furniture and the photography...pro both ways!

And congrats on the soon-to-be new addition to the household!

Ed Falis
01-10-2004, 5:47 PM
Todd, that's a great story. One of the many things I love about newborns is that they love sleep!

Jason,

Must be a different kind of newborn than my two were.

Nice work on the table, and the very best wishes to your family on the new arrival.

(I kind of like the heavy bottom, by the way).

- Ed

Jason Tuinstra
01-12-2004, 9:32 AM
Everyone - thanks for all the kind words and encouragment! You guys are very gracious.

Mark Singer
01-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Nicely crafted... great details!
Mark

Bob Lasley
01-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Jason,

Very nice work. You did a great job on the bracket feet. Did you cut the coves for those on the table saw? How did that go? It's something I've been intending to try.

Congrats on the pending arrival. Enjoy them all you can because they grow up so fast. Our last baby just turned 21 about a month ago.

Bob

Robert Goodwin
01-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Excellent results. And the photography is incredible. I first thought before reading the post that this was the picture you worked from some magazine like Architectural Digest.

Again, Great Work

Rob

Jason Tuinstra
01-12-2004, 3:30 PM
Jason,

Very nice work. You did a great job on the bracket feet. Did you cut the coves for those on the table saw? How did that go? It's something I've been intending to try.

Congrats on the pending arrival. Enjoy them all you can because they grow up so fast. Our last baby just turned 21 about a month ago.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the comments and the encouragement about the family. I need to be reminded to try to take everything in. The older I get the more I'm realizing how fast time goes - that is, unless you waiting for a baby to be born :(

The coves - you're right, I cut they were cut on the table saw. This was a first for me. The cove part goes easy enough once you set up the fences. I find cutting the rest of the curve a bit more difficult. My dado blade marks up the wood pretty good, so after everything is cut, there's a bit of handwork that has to be done. Nevertheless, making these legs have been some of the more satisfying work that I've done in quite awhile. I say give it a go. I'm sure you'll find them just as rewarding as I have.

Jason

Jason Tuinstra
01-12-2004, 3:36 PM
Excellent results. And the photography is incredible. I first thought before reading the post that this was the picture you worked from some magazine like Architectural Digest.

Again, Great Work

Rob

Rob, you're too much! I promise I wasn't trying to do anything fancy. I think it was around 1 in the morning and we don't have a lot of light in our family room. Whatever light I could find, I pointed it in that general direction. Nothing real special there. But thanks for thinking so anyway. :D

Chris Padilla
06-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Gorgeous, Jason! You dig that cherry and I think it digs you! :D

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-10-2004, 3:14 PM
Jason
Now we know why you make such beautiful projects, you like the smell of lacquer, eh?
Just marvelous!
Daniel :D

Alan Tolchinsky
06-10-2004, 4:23 PM
That is just one fantastic piece. Your work is just impeccable and you show us something we can all aspire to. Alan in Md.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-10-2004, 4:41 PM
Hi Jason, I just wondered how you did the inlay on the top and what wood it is? Did you glue up the border with the dark wood and then miter or did you put the border around the top and then inlay? It looks like ebony in the pics. Alan in Md.

Jason Tuinstra
06-10-2004, 7:14 PM
Hi Jason, I just wondered how you did the inlay on the top and what wood it is? Did you glue up the border with the dark wood and then miter or did you put the border around the top and then inlay? It looks like ebony in the pics. Alan in Md.

The black you see is a fine specimen of a product indigenous to the Chicago land area. It's called "Sharpie" :D .

The panel is cherry plywood with a 1/16 x1/8 groove cut around the perimeter of the panel. Then I just took a sharpie pen and very carefully blackened the groove. It’s wasn’t my idea. It was in the Woodsmith plans that I was working from. Sorry, no ebony inlay here :(

Jerry Olexa
06-11-2004, 5:00 PM
Jason, another great job! Love the overall craftmanship and especially the legs.
Your attention to detail paid off. Curious how you finished the cherry. I like the tone/color of your finished product. Professional results!! Jerry

Steve King
06-11-2004, 7:25 PM
Jason,
Beautiful work, I especially like the way the grain flows together. You can tell you spent a lot of time matching the wood.
Steve