PDA

View Full Version : OBM Works

John Esberg
06-11-2007, 3:25 PM
Hey Gang,

One spin off for me that is working nicely is t-shirts. What does this have to do with a laser? Let me explain. For white shirts I can use a quality transfer. I use Magic Touch TTC 3.1 with an Oki 5500 printer. I can kick out at least 6 double sided white shirts in FULL color per hour charging $14 each in volume (at about $2.50 material cost each).

When you go to darks, I have to switch over to OBM 5.5. The problem with these transfers is that you usually have to cut the transfer down to size. I've confirmed that you can do this on a laser cutter! This gives us a HUGE advantage over the silk screen guys out there. It's a nice product line to expand into for just under $2k.

For info, I'd call Magic Touch USA. Thier number is on thier website.

I really like the supplier on the west coast. Color Star Ink's sales rep is Todd. He usually calls back within 3 minutes if you have to leave a message.

Good luck!

DAK

PS I just pressed my first wicking shirt. It looks like it turned out great. I'm running it throught the wash as a test. I doubt there will be a problem. From what I've been told from multiple people, there's a good number of the high quality wicking shirts where we can use the OBM paper for custom printing. That's a valuable market for us without question.

Larry Bratton
06-11-2007, 11:01 PM
John;
Are you talking about CLTT, sometimes referred to as OEM?

If so, I have just gotten into doing some. Except we are using Versatrans paper for hard goods. We have done some really beautiful transfers of old advertising on .080 white aluminum. The Versatrans paper works good for that but I was curious to know if the Magic Touch paper worked any better or worse. I have a pack on order.

I have not done any T-shirts, but with that kind of margin...I MIGHT get interested. But the laser could be a great tool for cutting things out for transfers. It cuts paper in a "flash" (no pun intended).

Mike Null
06-12-2007, 7:01 AM
Larry

I'm sure you're up to speed on this but for shirts you need the paper John has mentioned . The MagicTouch paper for hard goods is CPM6.0 or 6.3.

Larry Bratton
06-12-2007, 8:24 PM
Mike:
Yeah, I got some Versatrans for soft goods, but just haven't tried any shirts or the like. We have done a bunch of transfers on to white aluminum that we're decorating our office with. When you get finished, I'll post them. I love this process. I still haven't rec'd the Magic Touch paper. Looking for it anytime.