PDA

View Full Version : New LV Spokesheves test drive..

Mark Singer
01-09-2004, 11:08 PM
I finally had some time today to try out the pair of Lee Valley spokeshaves. I tried them on both walnut and mahogony. They are both chatter free at a fine to moderate cut.They are very comfotable to use for extended periods: no cramping.The round is especially a joy to use and if you adjust the blade applying a small downward force on the blade the adjustments are consistent with no play. The shavings can be set to very fine . If pulled on a skew the shaved surface is smooth almost without sanding . One can develope the sence of control an intimacy where the tool feels like an extension of the hand....a great feeling!

However,the standard for me remains the original "Low angle Lee Valley spokeshave" . I don't know if it is because I have used it so often...or the way I have the blade set...but that remains the ultimate standard in spokeshaves. If you don't have one , consider a purchase($48.50), it is a very special tool...excellent design.... It is the one I reach for most often...and like an old friend...never lets me down.
Mark

Tom Scott
01-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Mark,
It took you almost a full day to give your new toys a test drive. What took so long?!
Like you, I really like my LV LA shave. I suppose I'll have to get my hands on some of those new ones now.

Tom

Robert Goodwin
01-10-2004, 3:10 PM
I actually kinda liked the conversations between Mark and Rob about the anticipation of when the mailman was going to be brining them. I guess I’l’ have to order mine now. :)

Have fun with the new shaves.
Rob (Goodwin, not Lee)

Ed Falis
01-10-2004, 5:55 PM
Mark,

I got the Lee Valley LA spokeshave for Christmas, along with the pair of little wooden Chinese shaves they sell. It's really nice. Was using it today.

- Ed

Mark Singer
01-10-2004, 8:29 PM
Ed,
How are those Chinese shaves.?
Mark

Mark Singer
01-10-2004, 8:32 PM
Robert,
If you don't like them you can "just get drunk and sc....w"
Jimmy Buffet
Mark

Tom Scott
01-11-2004, 1:19 AM
Also in the words of the great poet/songwriter, "we are the people our parents warned us about." J. Buffett

Ed Falis
01-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Ed,
How are those Chinese shaves.?
Mark

They're very pleasant to use. Definitely worth the price.

- Ed

Robert Goodwin
01-11-2004, 1:59 PM
Robert,
If you don't like them you can "just get drunk and sc....w"
Jimmy Buffet
Mark

Fellow Parrot Head??

Anyway, I have really enjoyed seeing your work the past few weeks. When I got into woodworking, I saw a article about Sam Maloof and fell in love with his style. You pieces share this style and make me want to go out into the shop and get started on the Maloof rocker I said I was going to complete before I die. Thanks for the pics....

Rob

Mark Singer
01-11-2004, 2:38 PM
Thank you! I appreciate greaty you find my work interesting. We all draw inspiration from one another. Go make that rocker....but make it yours..change it in some way
Mark

Jim Becker
01-11-2004, 8:40 PM
I got a chance to play with these shaves today at the Somerset show and they are purdy! Even with being mishandled by lots of folks, including myself, I suppose, they worked very nicely on the hunk of wood thoughtfully in the vice on the bench.