PDA

View Full Version : Gallerys etcs

William Bachtel
06-11-2007, 11:58 AM
I would like some feed back on your experiences with gallerys, what do most want in commissions, how soon do they pay after they sell an item? Would like to know the good and bad of it all. You know the dos and don'ts. Not much is said on here about dealing with the gallery scene. Thanks.

Patrick Taylor
06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
No experience myself, but from a mentor I heard that sales were very low and the gallery markup is often 100%.

Mark Cothren
06-11-2007, 12:16 PM
My very limited experience is that they pay after end of month, and the commissions they charge range anywhere from 30% to 50%.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
I've used several during the winter, when there are no shows. If you are going to do it, get insurance. Generally, they do not accept resonsibility for loss.

That said, I've had good and bad sales at them and payment has been the same way.

I guess what I'd suggest is that you contact other artists showing there and get their experience.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2007, 10:16 PM
I had the same question. I have been asked to display some of my turnings at the Carnegie Arts Center. They want 35%. Didn't know if this was good or bad?

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-11-2007, 11:33 PM
If Carnegie Arts Center is as good as it sounds, 35% is a very fair percentage. Just make sure that you're getting paid fairly for your effort. For instance at a shop that takes 50%. I saw well made segmented Pens thrown into a bowl for $20.00 (that means he's getting 10.00 -5.00 for the kit and 5.00 for all the work involved with segmented work - WAY UNDER PRICED!) In that same place there were some regular looking corn cob slimline pens for $80.00 each - way overpriced.

Bruce