PDA

View Full Version : Hows is this texture made on tabletop

Craig D Peltier
06-11-2007, 11:26 AM
This is my dining room table.Is it made with a U shaped spokeshave? I also tried to search chain texturing. I couldnt find anything on it. This table wasnt done that way.
Thanks

nick brigg
06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
my first thought was an uneven finish, but it does look gouged out.

Jim Becker
06-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Hand planes...specifically a scrub plane, although most would not leave this effect for a table top. They would take it further with a smoother. But it is, indeed, a very rustic look!

Craig D Peltier
06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Hand planes...specifically a scrub plane, although most would not leave this effect for a table top. They would take it further with a smoother. But it is, indeed, a very rustic look!

Doesnt say anything about being able to create texture? The gouges are nowhere near the width of a plane blade, maybe width of quarters and less.
"
The scrub plane is a type of plane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_%28tool%29) used to remove large amounts of wood from the surface of lumber, such as when eliminating cup or twist in the first stages of preparing rough stock, or when reducing the thickness of a board significantly. Scrub planes generally have a short soles, a relatively narrow but thick blade, a very wide mouth, and a deeply curved edge (of about a 3 inch radius) to make a deep, gouging cut.
A scrub plane is generally used in diagonal strokes across the face of a board, rather than parallel to the length of the board (along the grain) as with most other bench planes. In thicknessing or preparing rough stock, the scrub plane is usually followed by the jack plane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_plane), jointer plane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jointer_plane), then smooth plane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_plane).
Its function in modern woodworking has been largely replaced by power tools such as the thickness planer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thickness_planer). A scrub plane can still be useful for planing boards too wide to fit through a thickness planer
"

Rick Lizek
06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
We do that look all the time with a smoothing plane and modified grind on the blade. We do it on flooring, timbers and whatever the client wants the look. I imagine someone 200 years ago would have a heart attack as we have to get rid of the flat surface.

Lee Schierer
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
It looks to me like the boards were smoothed with an Adze. I don't recall ever seeing a table top done that way, but lots of barn beams were smoothed like that.

Bill White
06-11-2007, 1:09 PM
Craig,
How thick is the table top?
Looks massive.
Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-11-2007, 1:27 PM
In a word: all-kinna-ways

Stressing furniture is part art and part insanity. They use chains, hammers made from wood metal or rubber, they use icepicks, they use planes, sanders, and grinders.

Pete Bradley
06-11-2007, 1:32 PM
Not quite this look, but there's a company near me that manufactures "18th century" paneling with radiused blades in a power planer.

Pete

glenn bradley
06-11-2007, 2:37 PM
I'm voting scrub-plane.

Greg Cole
06-11-2007, 2:48 PM
If you've ever used a scrub plane you'd see about what you have on that table top.....
As Jim said, usually the venerable #4 or 4 & 1/2 follows up.
If you look at some "artisan" furniture portfolio's they offer a couple "levels" of finish from what's shown in Craig's picture to plat surfaces scraped like to an ultra glassy smooth finish and polished.

Another $0.02.

Greg

Craig D Peltier
06-11-2007, 3:09 PM
Craig,
How thick is the table top?
Looks massive.
Bill

Solid end caps false sides. Alder I believe, someone made that for me 8 years ago in L.A.
The table is too soft for my liking.

Bill Huber
06-11-2007, 3:09 PM
You could just send the top to me and ask to have it smoothed and flatten. After I got though with it, it would look something like that.

I just saw a Home Again show the other day and a guy was doing that same thing to a table top. He was using a plane and a scrapper. Most of it was with a plane I believe, that is the look he wanted.

Bob Yeager
06-11-2007, 3:20 PM
I have made these tops using a scraper rather than a plane. You can grind the cutter into a convex shape..to create a concave groove. You will want to try to scrape over the same "groove" once or twice, depending on the effect and depth you want You can get these scrapers at any hardware store...usually have a handle about14-16" long and a blade with about 2 - 2 1/2" wide. Some scrapers have a narrower blade...you may want to use a variety of width scrapers, so you don't have a toooo consistant appearance. After scraping, an orbital or hand sanding will smooth it out enought so you don't get splinters.

Bob

Jim O'Dell
06-11-2007, 5:03 PM
You mean people want that look? Excuse me while i go raid my own scrap pile!! :D First time I've seen that look on a table. Coffee table or end table yes. Very interesting. I bet it would fit perfectly in a historic home, or a farm house look. Jim.

Craig D Peltier
06-11-2007, 7:15 PM
You mean people want that look? Excuse me while i go raid my own scrap pile!! :D First time I've seen that look on a table. Coffee table or end table yes. Very interesting. I bet it would fit perfectly in a historic home, or a farm house look. Jim.

Funny I chose that, it was too plain without I thought. From and distance with light shinign off of it, it looks pretty evenly spread scrapes.I paid $1600 like I said a while back.That was with the upgrated wood.

Jason Roehl
06-11-2007, 7:21 PM
That actually looks better than the "hand-scraped" flooring I've seen. The flooring just had some meandering plateaus carved into it. Your table actually looks like someone used a plane with a curved blade and only got it roughly flat before finishing. It's definitely a rustic look, but I think there are other ways of making furniture look rustic without it looking contrived.