PDA

View Full Version : 'Art' Show Flop

Frank Kobilsek
06-11-2007, 10:54 AM
My big suburban art show debut was a big flop. Beautiful location along the river, wonderful weather, big crowd, but no sales (or very very little). Even my stoppers didn't sell. None of the 'artists' did well. Others have told me don't do shows connected to town festivals because people aren't there to buy nice things, they are there for the corn dogs and the freebies. Well now I believe them!

It was fun but not financially succesful. The highlight was a family that came in, or more like a group of related ladies. In the group was a young girl maybe 15 or 16 stuck with Mom and a bunch of aunts or Mom's friends. She didn't look like she was enjoying her day but when she saw my stuff the questions just exploded out of the kid. She was completely amazed and held up the whole group of women in my booth talking about the wood, the inlay, the tools and the process. That part was really fun.

Anyway, Don't do town festivals even if they call it an art show.

Frank

Paul Zerjay
06-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Frank I have been waiting patiently for your report on the show, and am sorry to hear you had no luck. Although we just started, we do have two rules we follow so far. They are: If they sell funnel cakes, don't apply, and if the word "county" is anywhere in the title, don't apply. I have also heard when the music starts, the selling stops, but that was not the case in our first show. We actually did better when the sun and temp went down, and the lights were on in our booth. Do you have more shows scheduled? Don't give up because of one bad show.

Frank Kobilsek
06-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Paul

Thanks for the condolenses. No give-up here, just lessons learned. Yes two more shows scheduled. My local town festival but that is more to sell Dad's stuff than mine and I'll demo stoppers at this festival. I've done $800 to $900 in the past in one day on a $30 entry but its family and freinds buying. Then I have been accepted in a 'Country' arts fair which I was pretty optimistic about until I read your rules.

Just venting a bit with my orginal post. I should have known better.

Frank

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-11-2007, 1:15 PM
The best way, I've found to help get to the RIGHT shows, is to go to the event, talk to the vendors, and see what people are carrying around. This should give you a good feel as to whether it is a good fit for your work.

Now, do I do it! Not always. Sometimes folks ask me to do a show, like two weeks ago. I was at a festival show for 10 hours. In that show we had about 150 customers and almost NO sales-----Period!!!!!

Bruce

Paul Engle
06-11-2007, 1:18 PM
After talking with some of the one's from my area, and reading Franks' , well I am kinda glad I did not make our town's " Arts" festival. and will be leary of others to come as most of my sales were to people at work and related commissions..... the taxidermy bussiness is droping dramaticaly so the big plaques are giving way to " drift wood" type mounts so the flat work is in the tank. So good luck to all of us in the future and remember , patience is best learned patiently.:eek: :D

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2007, 10:14 PM
I have did two craft fairs or as some call them Art Festivals. One was in the spring the other in the fall. The one in the spring I did not sell a dimes worth turnings but the one in the fall I sold about $400.

Keith Burns
06-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Frank, sorry to hear the bad news but don't give up. I doubt even Ellsworth did very good at his first show.

Cory Martin
06-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Frank, have you ever been to the spoon river drive? At least I think that is what it is called. I've never been to it; but I have heard it is nice. I think it is in the Peoria area. Maybe another opportunity.

Cory