PDA

View Full Version : lacquer finishing mask

jason lambert
06-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Oh My god I never expected lacquer fumes, sprayed out side, could be this bad... Anyhow I sprayed my first lacquer project and I figured the out side ventlation was enought. I don't think it was, so I put on a mask next and I still don't think that was enought I was still smelling it. So what is the best mask to get to spray lacquer, what safety rating or features do I need to look for?

Jamie Buxton
06-11-2007, 9:29 PM
I like things that are called half-face respirators. They seal well to your face. Masks which don't seal well just let nasty stuff into your lungs. I use a mask from 3M. It comes in three different sizes to help the fitting issue.

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Tools%2C%20Supplies%20and%20Safety/CatID/3M6000%20Series%20Respirator/showprod/1

To spray lacquer, get filter cartridges rated for organic vapors.

Chris Fairbanks
06-12-2007, 4:21 AM
What type lacquer are you spraying? Also what type mask are you using. I am using a 3m 7500 series mask and love it. It fits great and nothing seems to get through. I am also now spraying Target USL which is a water based lacquer and it has pretty much zero fumes and sprays great. I don't think I will ever spray any solvent based lacquer again.

Randy Denby
06-12-2007, 4:47 PM
Shoot...I'd use lacquer as a cologne if they made it. I'm wierd....but I love the smell. Maybe a root cause of breathing freon all these years tho....:D

Howard Acheson
06-12-2007, 10:37 PM
You need a NIOSH approved respirator with the appropriate filters for the finish. Contact the manufacturer of the finish and they will send you a copy of their Material Safety Data Sheet. The MSDS will detail the protective devices required for the product.

jason lambert
06-16-2007, 7:35 PM
just to follow up in case anyone else needs the answer I picked up a 3M mask with a organic filter from my local home store chain store. Workes grate I can not smell the fumes through it at all.