PDA

View Full Version : Paneled wall... finished

Bill Webber
06-11-2007, 9:05 AM
My last progress report http://sawmillcreek.org./showthread.php?t=56684&highlight=paneled+wall
on this paneled wall showed the first row of panels put in place and I was considering doing two rows at a time rather than one at a time as originally planned. Well, now that I figured I knew what I was doing, I decided to work all the rest of the rows at once. I finished cutting out all the rest of the pieces and left then stacked.

Spraying pre-cat lacquer on these pieces took a little over 12 hours for three coats. Two hours to spray each coat and 3 hours to lightly sand between coats. I actually stood there sanding and spraying for twelve hours. As soon as I finished spraying I could immediately start sanding! I had made a couple extra piecse realizing there would be some defects, at least some pieces better than others. In the end I just laid them out and started putting them up. When I looked back, I found I had installed a couple pieces that could have been replaced by leftovers that were ‘better’.

I used a story board of sorts to keep the stiles aligned. It doesn’t show well in the picture, but the board has a strip of tape with the stile locations marked on it. Each stile is glued in place, insert a panel, glue a stile… I found they stayed pretty well aligned once installed and tapped into place.

I put a little taper on the back of the stile tongue and on the panels to assist in getting the rail started. Getting the rail in place across all the stiles and panels wasn’t too difficult. I used this wedge arrangement to hold them down as I tapped and fitted them into place. This worked well for all but the top course. The top course was pretty exciting as I couldn’t swing a hammer to knock the pieces into place. I resorted to cutting my wedges in half and then using shim shingle wedged against the ceiling along with persuasion from a 16-ounce hammer to get the top rail seated.

After a little congratulatory dance I made up an assortment of trim pieces.

Bill Webber
06-11-2007, 9:15 AM
The top treatment would probably have been better with a piece of crown molding. With the irregularities of the wall and wanting to minimize the number of nails showing I opted for a couple boards with simple cove cuts in them.

I made the chair rail using one of those multi-profile shaper cutters. It required 5 passes through the shaper, each with a different cutter. I was doing well right up till the last cut when it got away from me. I thought I’d have to trash the whole piece and was pretty bummed about it. The board was a 3-piece glue-up and I didn’t want to go back into the wood pile to fine more boards. I got out a set of wooden hollow and round planes I’d sharpened up a while back and went to work trying salvaging the chair rail. The planes worked fairly well. They worked better than one could really expect with all the grain reversal in these boards. It is not the profile I was aiming for but it will do.

Some will remember the bisuit slots to mount the chair rail? Here's the installation clamp system. :)

The baseboard is a 1 x 4 with a top molding on it.

And here’s the finished product.

Thanks for looking…

Joe Chritz
06-11-2007, 9:23 AM
I feel bad for whining about a full set of kitchen door panels. That is one stack of panels.

Looks great and I like the "clamps". I have to install some counter edging in oak today and can't get clamps behind it. I think I will do a very similar thing.

You probably just saved me an hour at least. Although if you know who sees it I will probably gain a several day project. :D

Joe

Jim Grill
06-11-2007, 9:25 AM
That is one awesome wall!

Jim Becker
06-11-2007, 9:40 AM
Beautiful work, Bill!!!

Brett Baldwin
06-11-2007, 2:04 PM
Now THAT is an accent wall. Nice work.

Pat Germain
06-11-2007, 2:35 PM
Which panel do you push to access the Bat Cave below?

Very nice work. I can't imagine what it would cost to contract such a job.

Terry Hatfield
06-11-2007, 5:24 PM
Bill,

Awsome!!!! Truly a work of art...and patience.

t

Jim C Bradley
06-11-2007, 6:50 PM
Hi,
So who is going to waste time looking at the TV when all of that beautiful panel is there to look at?
Great!

Enjoy,
Jim

Dave Ray
06-11-2007, 7:48 PM
Bill, I like the way you describe the way you work, even to showing us how you recover from machine screw up's by using hand tools. Your clamping system for a difficult problem is simple, unique, and most of all effective. We all learn from you. This wall is outstanding

Dave MacArthur
06-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Boy do I love walnut, and that wall looks beautiful! I bet it feels like being in an old English mansion. Great work, and I really like the finish!

David Lopez
06-12-2007, 7:29 PM
Man, that is a beautiful wall! Followed up your original thread to see how you made the panels. Great documenting.

Would love to have that in my house....

Ben Grunow
06-12-2007, 9:41 PM
THat really is nice and much better to watch than TV. That finish is perfect. Not too filled and just the right sheen. Sweeeeet.

One question though. WHy did you run the horisontal rails through from wall to wall instead of running the verticals from floor to ceiling? It doesnt matter here but I'm just wondering why.

Ben

Don Bullock
06-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Bill, that's fantastic!!! It reminds me of some of the walnut paneled walls at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. I love the look. You really did a super job with all that wood. Congratulations.

Bill Webber
06-13-2007, 9:58 AM
One question though. WHy did you run the horisontal rails through from wall to wall instead of running the verticals from floor to ceiling? It doesnt matter here but I'm just wondering why.

Ben

I never considered running the stiles floor to ceiling. I guess it goes to the assembly sequence and means to secure the wall as it is assembled. With full length rails, pieces are tapped downward and kept in place by glue and gravity. The rail can then be secured to any of the stud locations.

If installed vertically, the panels would tend to fall out as assembly progressed and the vertical stiles don't necessarily line up with the studs.

Could be done that way I guess, but again, I didn't think about it. :)

Regards,

Bill W.

Bob Wingard
06-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I never considered running the stiles floor to ceiling. I guess it goes to the assembly sequence and means to secure the wall as it is assembled. With full length rails, pieces are tapped downward and kept in place by glue and gravity. The rail can then be secured to any of the stud locations.

If installed vertically, the panels would tend to fall out as assembly progressed and the vertical stiles don't necessarily line up with the studs.

Could be done that way I guess, but again, I didn't think about it. :)

Regards,

Bill W.

I believe that the "normal" way is to run the extreme left & right stiles floor-to-ceiling, then fill in with intermediate rails that fill the gap, then finally intermediate stiles. The only thing "wrong" with this installation is that the two end stiles don't go floor-to -ceiling. In this case, it really doesn't matter, because no end grain is visible, which is a main reason for using the standard method in the first place. Great job .. .. .. I doubt that anyone other than a woodworker would eve notice the difference.

Bryan Parlor
06-13-2007, 10:18 AM
I feel bad for whining about a full set of kitchen door panels. That is one stack of panels.

Looks great and I like the "clamps". I have to install some counter edging in oak today and can't get clamps behind it. I think I will do a very similar thing.

You probably just saved me an hour at least. Although if you know who sees it I will probably gain a several day project. :D

Joe

I fitted a counter edging and after puzzelling for hours on how to clamp it without using nails, I used the stove and fridge to assist the clamps I could use around the sink. It worked fine and I dont have to find storage space for them. I could have clamped to the cabinet frames but the rear clamp face was lower than the edging and none of clamps would work. If I had some clamps that I could fit custom faces that might have worked.

Bryan

Ben Grunow
06-13-2007, 8:37 PM
Makes sense to me.

We usually plywood a wall before panelling it so there is no concern for fastener locations. It all adds to the cost.....

David Lopez
06-14-2007, 2:19 AM
Bill,

Saw this post for the first time yesterday and had to come back again and look at this. Beautiful work!

Dave