PDA

View Full Version : Cat Coffin

Matt Newton
06-11-2007, 8:40 AM
I know this sounds a little disturbed, but I am looking for plans for a coffin for SWMBO's cat. She has had it longer than me so you can guess where I stand in the order of things. He is on his way out (which is a little sad), and I thought this would be a nice thing to do for him. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Chritz
06-11-2007, 9:18 AM
Shouldn't be to hard to sketch up something in the traditional old west coffin style.

A non hinged lid and the traditional coffin shape. A dado to hold the bottom and splined miter sides. If you have a dovetail jig that will do angled corners that would work very well.

If you are looking for a rounded top casket like we normally use the process is more involved, at least for the top.

Only you will know what style she would like to see. I think it is a great idea.

Joe

Ken Werner
06-11-2007, 9:29 AM
Matt, if you google "pet caskets" you'll get lots of vendors. You can then look through the images for ideas. BTW, if you decide to have the cat cremated, allow 1 cubic inch/pound for the box. Sorry to hear you have to prepare for his end.
Ken

Doug Shepard
06-11-2007, 10:33 AM
... BTW, if you decide to have the cat cremated, allow 1 cubic inch/pound for the box....
Ken

Ken - does this same figure apply to dogs and humans too? Matt's post got me thinking about having a box for ashes ready for my pets, even though they're currently healthy. My mother also mentioned she'd like me to make a box for her ashes too. She wants to be able to show it off before she actually needs it. A bit morbid perhaps, but if she wants to yack about her box, who am I to stop her.

Matt
Sorry to hear your kid's not doing so well. Best wishes.

Ken Werner
06-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Ken - does this same figure apply to dogs and humans too?

yes, as far as I know, it's a general rule of thumb.

Mike Henderson
06-11-2007, 2:57 PM
I made a couple of cat coffins recently for cats that we had since their birth. I didn't make them real fancy - just boxes that had their tops attached with screws. The first one was made in preparation since the cat was quite sick. I measured the cat from head to backside and then added about two inches. I estimated the side-to-side width, and was a bit generous to make sure of the fit. The depth is a bit tricky depending on whether you're going to put anything in to rest the cat on. Measure the head across (this assumes you're going to lay the cat in the coffin on his/her side) and add maybe two inches for safety.

I carved the cat's name in the top and finished with clear lacquer. I felt it was a good coffin, worthy of my good, long time friend.

Mike

Roger Newby
08-19-2007, 9:54 AM
Go to Rockler item #33744 Homemade Coffin How-to $14.95. They also have hardware, etc for coffins.

Dan Jakubczak
09-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Rockler also has plans available for pet coffins

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=896

Mike Hood
09-08-2007, 10:19 AM
No such thing as a silly question. I had a customer come in and wanted a lightweight box designed to carry human remains airborne on a model helicopter for spreading over a local flying field.

It sounded easy at first, but I had to balance functionality, with reliability and of course taste. It HAD to work the first time around, and be less than a pound tare weight.

Oh yeah.... and ALL of the contents had to leave the box gradually... and COMPLETELY. :)

Everything went fine, and the family was very happen with the ceremony and function of the device.

Eddie Howard
09-08-2007, 11:13 AM

71477I have built this style for large and small dogs and cats. I do not have plans but it si fairly easy to build.

Ken Garlock
09-08-2007, 11:44 AM
We have a kitty cemetery in our back yard. It contains the 4 cats we have had and one from our daughter. My idea, and agreed to by all parties, was to use a simple box. They are all different sizes depending on the size of the cat, and are constructed of oak with spar varnish. The tops and bottoms are set into rabbets. After the remains were in place, the top was caulked and braded.

Like all funerals, the fancy decorations are for the living, so let your wife be your guide.

John Schreiber
09-09-2007, 9:50 PM
No such thing as a silly question. I had a customer come in and wanted a lightweight box designed to carry human remains airborne on a model helicopter for spreading over a local flying field. . . .
That is a memorable commission.