PDA

View Full Version : BS Blade Twist

John Bush
06-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Had a slight "incident" with my 2hp 18" BS when I hit some reactive wood that seized on the blade, rolled the piece over(smashing the tip of my middle finger), and stopping the blade and motor. Fortunately all is well except the 1" blade(and 7 sutures to secure some loose flesh). There is a very slight twist in the blade where the wood bound and I don't see any creases or distortions in the metal other than the slight twist. Is this repairable? By a professional blade service? It wasn't a "good" blade but is still sharp and relatively new. I have been thinking of getting a carbide resaw blade and I'm glad I hadn't done it yet. Any suggestions? Thanks, John.

Eddie Darby
06-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Short of replacing the twisted section with a new welded section, I would have to say no. You could cut the blade down for use on a smaller bandsaw, and that might help.

Randy Denby
06-12-2007, 4:42 PM
As inexpensive as blades are, and labor rates being what they are...I would buy new (suffolk machinery). Not worth the chance of it breaking while in use, and it will likely not track thru a cut very well anymore.

Jim Grill
06-12-2007, 4:49 PM
As inexpensive as blades are, and labor rates being what they are...I would buy new (suffolk machinery). Not worth the chance of it breaking while in use, and it will likely not track thru a cut very well anymore.

Like Randy said, I'd get a new blade. They are not too awfully expensive. I wish fingers were as easily replaced! I hope the flesh wound heals quickly, John. :)

Tony Ward
06-12-2007, 5:24 PM
Hi

I'd hang up the blade as a perpetual trophy / reminder!

Sadly, from experience once damage in the manner you have described they continue to cause more problems.

Phil Thien
06-12-2007, 8:36 PM
It wasn't an Olson blade by any chance, was it?