PDA

View Full Version : Overarm Blade Guards

Todd Burch
01-09-2004, 7:00 PM
In another post, I noticed Steve Wilson's overarm blade guard. he indicated that it was an Exaktor. I looked on their website, and I'm not sure that it would work on my tablesaw setup, due to my side and outfeed tables.

Here's a scale drawing showing my saw top (PM66), with 52" fence, with outfeed and side feed tables.

With the Exaktor, I'm not sure I could easily reach the control for the blade guard without really leaning over or getting on the table.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Todd.

Ron Meadows
01-09-2004, 7:08 PM
Todd,

The Excalibur would fit your arrangement. It hooks onto the right end of your saw and comes off with one handle/screw.

Just something to look at,

Ron

Jim Becker
01-09-2004, 8:49 PM
Ditto to Ron's recommendation. The Excalibur will work great...and is a more substantial product than the Exactor. It floats nicely or can be locked at a specific height. Dust collection is excellent.

You may want to look at my review as I show an alternate mounting method that eliminates the angled brackets under the extension table--just in case you use that space for storage, et al. I also recommend mounting it about 1" farther towards the rear of the saw to better clear a snap-in splitter if you use one.

JayStPeter
01-09-2004, 9:01 PM
Todd,

I have the old version of the Excalibur, which somehow became the Exaktor. It will work with your setup, but I agree with the others that the current Excalibur is a much better and more solid design. I guess the reality is that the Excalibur is the improved version of the Excktor.

Jay

Paul B. Cresti
01-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Todd,
I have the Exaktor and it will work on your setup as well. The Exaktor will connect to the right side of your "green" extension table. The blade guard post attaches to the right side of the extension table via a plate and the post rests on the ground. The post attaches to the underside of the extension table via a rod and turnbuckle.
Paul B. Cresti

Ted Shrader
01-10-2004, 9:49 AM
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Todd.
Todd -

I have a Brett Guard on my PM-66 w/ 52" fence. It bolts to the bottom of the horizontal part of the "L" bracket on the back of the table. Would work with your setup and would not require climbing on the table to adjust or move out of the way. Not further modifications would be required to your outfeed table. It extends to the right of the extension table a couple of inches before the vertical part of the arm comes up over the table top.

It proably will require removing the outfeed table to gain access to the "L" bracket to drill holes and install the bolts. Just the bolt heads would be above the rail.

Regards,
Ted

Ed Falis
01-10-2004, 6:11 PM
Todd -

It proably will require removing the outfeed table to gain access to the "L" bracket to drill holes and install the bolts. Just the bolt heads would be above the rail.

Regards,
Ted

Or, reverse the rear rail so that the horizontal part is outside and away from the table. There's still plenty of support. That's how I did with the Brett-Guard on my Bridgewood. I think the table depth is the same as the PM66.

- Ed