PDA

View Full Version : Gone Corian Crazy **Pics**

Ken Salisbury
01-09-2004, 6:59 PM
As a lot of you are aware I have been messin around with Corian for a couple of weeks. A good friend who owns a high end appliance business including a solid surface operation asked me to make some stuff to sell at a large upcoming Home Improvement show.

I posted some previous photos of what I was able to create. I have gotten the laminating of the material pretty much down pat.

I was showing off the segmented Corian pen that I posted a picture of the other day to a friend at Applebees (during happy hour :D) on Wednesday. He said "man that is neat - you should make one that is red, white and blue" (he is a retired Marine Corp Lt Colonel).

I didn't have any red material so I made a pass through my other friend's scrap pile and wouldn't ya know it - no red. So, what are friends for? He quickly found me two red 4" x 4" color sample pieces to use.

Attached are pics of what came out. I also made a couple more hidden compartment key rings while I was at it. Please take notice that I angled the pieces on the top of the pen to simulate a waving flag - kinda hard to see in the pic - but is quite obvious when you look at the pen and turn it. :) I also laminated up some more red/white/blue blanks with slimmer slices of material which I think will look really good.

Jason Roehl
01-09-2004, 7:07 PM
Those ARE COOL, Ken!! :cool:

Rob Littleton
01-09-2004, 7:09 PM
very nice.......really nice

do you use a specific pen lathe of just a regular lathe and small chuck?

Forgive my ignorance please

Ken Salisbury
01-09-2004, 7:19 PM
very nice.......really nice

do you use a specific pen lathe of just a regular lathe and small chuck?

Forgive my ignorance please

I use a Jet Mini for all my small stuff and a Jet 1642 VS for the "big boy" projects.

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-09-2004, 7:22 PM
Now yer gettin' somewhere Rebel! I REALLY like the Red ,White , and Blue Pens! I'll bet those would sell like mad at any local 4th of July Celebration. Nice stuff Ken............thanks for sharing the pics! ;)

(I know what yer thinkin'..............the word White is not there, but if ya squint and look real hard, it is!) :p

Clem Wixted
01-10-2004, 3:07 PM
...I have gotten the laminating of the material pretty much down pat.

Ken,

Could you share some tips for laminating. I have used medium CA and clamped it. Can see the joint if I look hard enough.

Is that blue color the "blueist" available?

Clem

Ken Salisbury
01-10-2004, 3:12 PM
Ken,

Could you share some tips for laminating. I have used medium CA and clamped it. Can see the joint if I look hard enough.
Is that blue color the "blueist" available?
Clem

If you go to this thread there is a lot of information there.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=5663

There are some other blues available, however I chose that one since it had small white flakes which mad it look more like a flag.