PDA

View Full Version : mixed wood gloat

Benjamin Dahl
06-10-2007, 7:53 PM
I had a big dogwood that was dangerously leaning over my house and shop that I needed to take down. It was about 18-20" diameter and I was pretty excited about the wood possibilities. I had seen that there was some rot but after felling it, most of the wood was unusable with a ton of carpenter ant activity. I did get a nice burl that is 14" in diameter (need a bigger lathe, might be the excuse to pull the trigger). the two pictures show what I was able to salvage and what is going to the county mulching facility. I guess I was lusting too much for what I thought was going to be a major score.
At least my house is safe now.
Ben

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2007, 8:34 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you make out of that burl! To bad about the rest of the wood but glad to hear you removed it before it came crashing down on your house!

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2007, 9:20 PM
Wow nice haul. Can't wait to see some projects out of that.

TYLER WOOD
06-11-2007, 9:03 AM
I see a lot of chunks that can be sawed out of the mulch pie. Just cause the inside is eaten out, you can still make chunks out of the outside area.

Patrick Taylor
06-11-2007, 9:43 AM
Looks to me like you'll be doing lots of crazy natural edges from the eaten out interiors... I would absolutely turn those! You might be very happy with the wild edges.

Andy Livingston
06-11-2007, 5:29 PM
Time to buy that new lathe! OR, you can just run that burl over to my house and I'll be glad to help get rid of it!
Let me know when you get the new one. I'll help set it up. Mine is working great!