PDA

View Full Version : try again for pic

Steve Jenkins
03-01-2003, 1:52 PM
This is an anigre and maple table I recently made. using bessey clamps for gluing on the edgebanding works really well. You lay the first one flat then angle each succesive one as you stack them. The table is 42" in diameter and the edge is 1-1/2' thick. Steve

Steve Jenkins
03-01-2003, 1:55 PM
This is the top from the above post. I don't have a pic of the whole table yet. I forgot my camera when I delivered it. The edgeband is undercut at 45 degrees so it looks pretty cool seen from the side. Steve

Terry Hatfield
03-01-2003, 2:10 PM
Steve,

That is really cool. I like it!!!!

The first pic kinda looks like a Bessey-go-round.;)

If you go back and get more pics be sure to post them.

Thanks

Terry

Steve K
03-01-2003, 3:59 PM
That's really nice looking, would you care to elaborate about the construction of the table top itself. Is it wedges? Thanks
Steve (http://www2.fwi.com/~krumy)

Steve Jenkins
03-01-2003, 4:39 PM
The anigre part of the top is veneer cut into wedges then glued into the sunburst pattern then glued to 1-1/4 Particle board. I know, I know, particle board YUCK, however for a substrate for veneer mdf is my 1st choice because it is flat, stable and consistant thickness. IPB(industrial particle board) is my next choice if mdf is not readily available in the thickness I want. The edge is select white maple that I jointed then planed to 1-1/2". I fastened it with biscuits to the ipb and in the miters. I cut the top rough with a bandsaw then to final dimension (42") with a router on a trammel. The edgeband I mitered and glued two pieces together cut the curve rough with the bandsaw and trimmed to final size with my shaper and a template ( I have often used a router with a trim bit for that step). If that isn't enough detail let me know. Thanks for asking. Steve

John Renzetti
03-01-2003, 5:05 PM
Hi Steve, Great work as usual. Did you use a lipping planer on the maple edge.
Take care,
John

Ted Shrader
03-01-2003, 6:05 PM
Originally posted by Steve Jenkins
The anigre part of the top is veneer cut into wedges then glued into the sunburst pattern then glued to 1-1/4 Particle board. I know, I know, particle board YUCK, however for a substrate for veneer mdf is my 1st choice because it is flat, stable and consistant thickness. IPB(industrial particle board) is my next choice if mdf is not readily available in the thickness I want. The edge is select white maple that I jointed then planed to 1-1/2". I fastened it with biscuits to the ipb and in the miters. I cut the top rough with a bandsaw then to final dimension (42") with a router on a trammel. The edgeband I mitered and glued two pieces together cut the curve rough with the bandsaw and trimmed to final size with my shaper and a template ( I have often used a router with a trim bit for that step). If that isn't enough detail let me know. Thanks for asking. Steve

Steve -

Thanks for the pictures and construction description.

Very well done (as usual).

Ted

Tony Falotico
03-01-2003, 6:15 PM
Looking great Steve, that's mighty fine work!

Bob Lasley
03-01-2003, 6:33 PM
Steve,

Nothing like a sunburst clamp pattern to match a sunburst table top. I like the idea of the 45 degree undercut on the rim, would have liked to have seen a pic of that.

I've caught the veneer bug. So far have only veneered some flat panels for a chest using cauls and clamps. Vac bag system is in planning. If you would allow me, I would like to come by your place next time I am down that way and get you to share a few tips.

Bob

Tom Sweeney
03-01-2003, 6:38 PM
Great looking table top. Please post pics of the whole table if you get them. What finish did you use to give it that golden yellow color - or is that more just the photo?

Dave Arbuckle
03-01-2003, 6:43 PM
Came out beautifully (that is the one I saw in progress, isn't it?).

You need to keep a closer eye on your clamps. One of them in that first picture is just slacking off. ;)

Dave

Phil Phelps
03-01-2003, 6:47 PM
You gonna' use wipe on poly? :p

Jake McCord
03-01-2003, 8:22 PM
Man, that is just plain gorgeous!! Never having worked with veneer (yet) I have no idea how difficult or time consuming that must have been. Great job and thanks for sharing.
Jake

Bruce Page
03-01-2003, 8:47 PM
Steve, what a beautiful table top! I love the anigre, I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Brad Hammond
03-01-2003, 9:05 PM
and looking at craftsmanship like that! it makes me sick. oh well, i guess i gotta pay for tools somehow.
great job!

Chris McKimson
03-02-2003, 12:04 AM
Steve,

It's not enough that we have to look at your incredible workshop in the shop tours at BP, but now we have to look at your great work too? :D Looks wonderful, by the way.

I'll have to show my wife the picture. I'll tell her "see, I really did need all the K bodies" I got at the last Bessey feeding frenzy.

Chris

Steve Jenkins
03-03-2003, 8:52 AM
John R. asked how I trimmed the edgebanding flush with the veneer.My normal method, which I used here, is the good old beltsander. I usually use 150 grit on it for this and also for the first sanding on the veneer. The finish was natural with a conversion varnish topcoat. Most of the yellow color is from the lighting. Steve

Randy Miller
03-03-2003, 9:43 AM
The top looks great! Love to see the whole project if you get a chance.

Dave Avery
03-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Steve,

Beautiful table top. A couple of questions..... how did you attach the veneer...... vacuum bag, cauls/clamps? ......and what adhesive did you use? Thanks. Dave.

Lars Thomas
03-03-2003, 11:06 PM
Wow, that's a great looking table. Can you elaborate on the legs? Looks flawless. Lars