PDA

View Full Version : Black Cherry HF

Mark Cothren
06-10-2007, 5:07 PM
This was a scrap piece of Black Cherry that had been layin' around the shop for some time now. It had checked terribly on the ends, but this solid chunk was still inside it. Ended up 6" tall and a little over 5" wide. Just a touch of burning on the inside edge of the collarless rim.

Comments/critiques of all flavors are welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/CherryHF02.jpg

Jim Becker
06-10-2007, 5:17 PM
Exquisite, Mark...there is absolutely nothing that should be changed on this piece! That subtle uplift to the rim is wonderful and the continuous curves of the form really work.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2007, 5:53 PM
Fantastic piece Mark. Love the wood and form.

Nancy Laird
06-10-2007, 6:01 PM
You just keep raising the bar, don't you, Mark? This one is just gorgeous!!

Nancy

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2007, 8:10 PM
Absolutely beautiful Mark! Love the form, grain, finish and the detail work around the rim! Seriously nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2007, 8:26 PM
Beautifully done as we've come to expect from you Mark! Beautifully done.

Ernie Nyvall
06-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Really fine lines Mark. Beautiful piece.

Ken LaSota
06-11-2007, 9:47 AM
Simply beautiful work Mark you just keeping raising the bar.
Ken

Joseph Peacock
06-12-2007, 11:36 AM
NICE JOB Mr.Mark!!!!!!!:D ;) :cool:

Patrick Taylor
06-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Mark, this is beautiful. Here's a form question: Did you break the curve near the base (about 15-20% up from the bottom) or is that just the angle of the photo?

I love the rim... sooo subtle but just enough to make it perfect. :)

Dick Durbin
06-12-2007, 12:37 PM
This is the sort of piece that makes me love turning. The wood is allowed to tell its own story without stains, dyes, or carving.

Dennis Peacock
06-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Very well porportioned there Mark. Very pretty and to me? It begs to be touched. Very nice. :cool:

Don Orr
06-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Oh sure, just a scrap, laying around the shop, all checked, found this inside.:eek: You're killing me!;) :D Another great piece.

Mark Cothren
06-12-2007, 1:03 PM
Here's a form question: Did you break the curve near the base (about 15-20% up from the bottom) or is that just the angle of the photo?

Of course it is just the angle of the photo...;) You are correct - there is a little hump in the curve there. I actually didn't catch it until it was too late to easily correct.

As a side note, the inside of this one ended up pretty clean and smooth with just the use of a scraper - no sanding except near the rim. I attribute that more to the wood being cooperative than any skill I have. But it is certainly doable to have a nice interior on a hollow form - as much as some might disagree. I've personally handled many hollow forms that were exceptionally smooth on the interiors. Even Alan Lacer has stated that his hollow forms are smoothly cut/scraped on the interiors.

Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Benjamin Dahl
06-12-2007, 1:11 PM
really stunning. thanks.

Patrick Taylor
06-12-2007, 3:06 PM
Of course it is just the angle of the photo...;) You are correct - there is a little hump in the curve there. I actually didn't catch it until it was too late to easily correct.

As a side note, the inside of this one ended up pretty clean and smooth with just the use of a scraper - no sanding except near the rim. I attribute that more to the wood being cooperative than any skill I have. But it is certainly doable to have a nice interior on a hollow form - as much as some might disagree. I've personally handled many hollow forms that were exceptionally smooth on the interiors. Even Alan Lacer has stated that his hollow forms are smoothly cut/scraped on the interiors.

Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Last month my club had a big discussion on sanding the interior of HF's. Everything was suggested from sticking your arm in :eek: to using a rotary sander to wrapping a tennis ball in sandpaper and putting it on a stick. I've also heard others say that if they can't reach it to sand, then the customer can't reach it to feel. (although SWMBO does have unusually small wrists...)

Keith Burns
06-12-2007, 5:46 PM
Great piece Mark ! (even with the little bump). I agree that the insides should be as good as the outside if at all possible. As a scraper is my least favorite tool I seldom achieve the task without resorting to various sanding methods.

Jim Ketron
06-12-2007, 9:28 PM
Beautiful Piece Mark!
love the plump look of this form.