PDA

View Full Version : My new D4R

Fred Craven
06-10-2007, 4:20 PM
For years I have wanted to get a dovetail jig, then a fortunate event gave me an opportunity to buy one --a customer (mom) needs a bunch of trays/drawers for a kitchen cupboard. Sure I could use some other joint, but come on...

When it comes to a Dovetail jig, there are many options from which to chose. I chose the Leigh D4R because I like the ability to adjust both pin and tail, and its creative expansion options.

Now for the "Doh!". I was going to use Baltic birch for the aforementioned trays. Well, first I missed the memo about dovetail joints and plywood (can be done, but challenging), and DOH! (see, there it is) Baltic birch isn't readily available...seems there was a weather issue last year in Russia... Huh? "...but we have this Chinese stuff that has the same number of plys..." (By the way, I can find BB in small overpriced portions, but not in 5x5 sheets.)

So, next I learn about "appleply". It's hard to find, but I found it. Locally its only available to contractors (got that covered) Oh, and it's in short supply because of the same weather situation... But it comes in 4X8 sheets...pre-finished even.

-----back to the jig-----
When first using the jig, I had some frustration with Borg/Chinese plywood (It was then that I got the memo about plywood), so I pulled out a random piece of scrap pine, and the joint was near perfect. Sweet. I do have some random pieces of BB lying around, but most of it is incorporated in an existing old jig. (the largest piece happens to be my temporary desk top.)

I'm working on a "mod" for the D4R for dust extraction. I will get the new VRS thingy when available, but Leigh seems to have nothing to reach the "other" side of the board. My temporary sucker is a floor sweep blue taped (so as not to leave duct tape residue) to the jig. It's tacky, doesn't work that well, but it's better then the mess I left at first. :)

Of course I welcome any comments or suggestions. The trays will be made sometime in the next two weeks.

Fred

Frank Guerin
06-10-2007, 6:57 PM
I'm not sure what your question is but that may be related to the strange hours I have been working but from my own perspective I have for some time now been using poplar for the sides and whatever (buyers choice) for fronts and back. The contrast is good unless otherwise ordered but most will want that for the cost savings and when pointed out the differences in the wood show the dovetails better. I won't do any plywood because of the problems you have already mentioned. As far as dust collection I have never felt comfortable with anything on hand held equipment. I do see pics of various stationary ways of chip collection on dovetail jigs but I prefer as much as an open viewing area as possible.
Just my 2 cents thats probably not worth that.