PDA

View Full Version : This is a hard thing to accept.

Bart Leetch
06-10-2007, 3:35 PM
This is a hard thing to accept.

I have the hard task emotionally of going to pick up almost all my Dad's tools next week end. While I'll enjoy having them it hard seeing Dad at 85 not have them or a place to use them anymore. Most of the tools will be stored except the Bell-saw planer which will be in my shop. I already have most of these tools except the shapers & will store them so I can wheel them down to the shop for use if need be.

scott spencer
06-10-2007, 3:42 PM
That's gotta be a tough one Bart, but I'll bet he'll get some satisfaction in knowing where they are and that they've found a good home....

Bill Huber
06-10-2007, 3:51 PM
Bert, I know what you mean, my dad passed away in Feb. and it was really hard going to his little shop and moving his tools out.
The only thing that I can use is his band saw but I am still not sure I want to put it in my shop, I just feel funny about using it.
Most of his tools were clock repair tools, he used the band saw to cut cherry to make clock gears.

Tom Maple
06-10-2007, 3:53 PM
It is never easy to watch one's parents get older and unable to do the things they once did. My father will be 91 next month and I already have most of the tools he had from when he built houses. I also have a chest of tools and workbench from my grandfather and great uncle who were a general contractor and carpenter respectively. I have an old Dunlap (became Craftsman) wood lathe from my maternal Grandfather. Though it is not a great machine, it has many memories associated with it.
Everytime you use any of your Dad's tools, the memories will come flooding back. It is definitely a bittersweet moment each time you pick up a tool you remember your Dad using and recall the first time, as a child, that he used it on a particular project.
The older we get the more we understand our immortality. Good luck in the coming years.

Nancy Laird
06-10-2007, 4:38 PM
I can relate. My f-i-l passed away over 12 years ago, and his little single-car garage was just stuffed with machines and tools. Hubby said that it was very emotional going into that garage and cleaning out, deciding what to keep and what to save. Dad had saved box after box after box of stuff that he had kept from the hardware store he had owned in the early 60s--lots of which went into the dumpster. But the DeWalt radial arm saw, the Atlas bandaw, and the Atlas lathe (along with about a thousand small handtools, wrenches, screwdrivers, and thousands upon thousands of nuts, bolts, and washers) all came into our shop and are used regularly, cared for, and cherished. Some things got passed on to the two grandsons for their shops, and these three machines will also.

I don't envy your task, Bart, but I'm sure that as time goes by, you'll cherish those things and pass them to your own children. But that doesn't ease your heartache now, does it? My thoughts are with you.

Nancy

Don Morris
06-10-2007, 4:46 PM
My father-in-law was a Swedish cabinet maker and I loved for his visits as we always saved a "show me". I learned crown molding, hanging paper (as he called it) and many other things. He ended up as a supervisor for a division of a factory producing Sylvania cabinetry years ago. I have all his old hand planes. It took me hours to bring them back to life. I had some of them but when I look at them they give me great joy. My son knew him also and when we are doing a job and mess up we look up and say "Sorry Helge" (a great Swedish name). Run your hands over the tools every now and then and remember the good times...we do.

Jim Becker
06-10-2007, 5:25 PM
Best advise I can give you Bart is to look him in the eye and let him know that those tools will be taken care of and used when they are the right ones for the job. And to reinforce that, perhaps a small project as a gift back will give a sparkle to his eyes!

Pat Germain
06-10-2007, 8:19 PM
I guess I have a different attitude. I lost many relatives when I was young, but they didn't leave anything behind. I would relish the opportunity to use tools owned by someone I knew and respected. Pardon me for sounding like a Disney movie, but I see it as a natural and beautiful part of the circle of life. I think this would be much more preferrable than auctioning off the tools or selling them in pieces to a bunch of strangers.

In fact, as I'm buying my tools now I think about what will become of them when I pass. My kids are into the performing arts and wouldn't have much use for them. My brother is just one year younger. Unless I get hit by a bus while I'm still young, I expect my tools will just go to the four winds. It would be nice to have someone a generation or two behind me who would look forward to using my tools.

For those who have an opportunity to use their father's tools, I would say be thankful and enjoy them. Dollars to doughnuts Dad would want it that way. :)

Bart Leetch
06-10-2007, 9:59 PM
Thanks everyone.

Pat I intend to use them & cherish them. Most of the big tools will be stored I simply don't have room for doubles in my small shop. When I get to a bigger shop thew will be put back into use.

Pat Germain
06-10-2007, 10:20 PM
I hope you will soon have room for your dad's tools, Bart. I'm sorry to hear he is no longer able to use them himself.

Bruce Wrenn
06-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Kinda sad to say, but in thirty years someone else will be running most of our tools. Kinda like how I kid my children. For each grandchild, I build a high chair, which the materials cost is about $100, plus a lot of hours of labor. I had better not ever hear of them seling chair in yard sale for $5.00. $500 maybe, but not $5.00

Chris Barton
06-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Bart,

Let your Dad's tools live through you... You will always see him in the projects they make.

Jim C Bradley
06-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Bill,
For Heaven's sake, put the bandsaw in your shop. I have my dad's bandsaw in my shop. It is the saw I use the most. However, MUCH more importantly, it keeps triggering wonderful memories. Keep it, use it, love it!!!
Enjoy it,
Jim

Jim C Bradley
06-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Bart,
You have my sympathy. It is a tough thing. But, do put at least one tool your father used in your shop and use it regularly. That is a very good thing to do...you will keep remembering good things from the past.
Enjoy the tool,
Jim

Rick Gibson
06-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Bart use them and enjoy them. My grandfather was a carpenter by trade and many of his tools went to my father. My brothers have no interest in woodworking and last year my dad gave me a couple of my grandfathers hand planes. The best I can figure out the #5 Stanley plane was made before 1920 and was in pretty rough shape, I repaired the handle cleaned off the rust and got it usable. Now nearly every time I pick it up I think of him and some of the good times we had together.

Your dad will like the fact the tools have gone somewhere where they will be used and appreciated plus nearly every time they are picked up or used he will be remembered.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Bart.....My father died when I was 23. The only tool of his I got was a then new handsaw. Now everytime I use that saw, I remember watching him build a covered sandbox......a garage....and many other things. Now 35 years after his death....I look forward to using that saw.......Keep them...cherish them.....use them.....someday they'll be a form of therapy!

My sincere sympathies Bart......

Don Bullock
06-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Bart, it's the memories of the good times that will pull you through this. I know, I've been there. I wish you the best.

Jude Kingery
06-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Bart, my most sincere condolences. It is difficult, but what I wouldn't have given to have had a chance to go through my Dad's tools and machinery with my brothers (step-mom did that before we knew about it and most of it was gone). I'm very thankful to have my Dad's little lathe and I hope for you, even though it must be very painful, that as echoed here, you can treasure and enjoy all the memories while using your Dad's tools. Kind regards, Jude

Randal Stevenson
06-11-2007, 1:13 AM
I only have a few power tools from my grandfather (the drill, from another post), but lot's of handtools (mostly mechanics). I don't know what your fathers condition is, but my goal, is to use my power tools, for as long as I can, then if I get to the point (assisted living, etc) then I will go back to hand tools, and piddle. Got to have a reason to get up in the mornig. While he may not be in the shape to use them anymore, he may look forward to you getting use out of them AND HIM. Find out how he does, xyz, any tricks/tips, etc. Use him while you have that resource and establish some new memories.
My gramps died when I was six, so I now have most of his tools, but lost the most important part, the learning. (even IF you think you know it all, you young whiper snapper you)

John Lucas
06-11-2007, 1:35 AM
Bart,
My father put together a nice little shop preparing for his retirement. By that time, his health had deteriorated to thepoint that he couldnt use his shop. I had just married and a couple of miles away. He wanted me to t ake the equipment but we rented and had no room for it. I would go over there once a week and work on something - furniture usually. He would watch my every move and get as much enjoyment out of my using his tools and if he were using them hiself. If you are too far away to do this, then use a video camera to "talk to him" when you are in the shop and keep him up to date.

Roy Harding
06-11-2007, 1:46 AM
I guess I have a different attitude. I lost many relatives when I was young, but they didn't leave anything behind. I would relish the opportunity to use tools owned by someone I knew and respected. Pardon me for sounding like a Disney movie, but I see it as a natural and beautiful part of the circle of life. I think this would be much more preferrable than auctioning off the tools or selling them in pieces to a bunch of strangers.

In fact, as I'm buying my tools now I think about what will become of them when I pass. My kids are into the performing arts and wouldn't have much use for them. My brother is just one year younger. Unless I get hit by a bus while I'm still young, I expect my tools will just go to the four winds. It would be nice to have someone a generation or two behind me who would look forward to using my tools.

For those who have an opportunity to use their father's tools, I would say be thankful and enjoy them. Dollars to doughnuts Dad would want it that way. :)

I'm with Pat here - my Grandfather was a carpenter, all his daughters (he didn't have any sons) married professionals (My own Dad was an accountant - wonderful man, but not a woodworker). When Grampa passed on, his tools spread to the four winds. All I have left of his fine work are some picture frames (which hang in my shop, with the original pictures in them - of ships, he was a sailor too) he built.

I wish I'd known him better (my Mom was a late baby, and Grampa was OLD when I was born - he passed when I was 10), and I wish I'd had time to learn more from him.

Take care of (and use) your Dad's tools - just like he took care of you. You'll both be better for it.

Ron Hedrick
06-11-2007, 7:52 AM
Bert, my deepest sympathies. My dad passed 9 years ago. Hardly a day goes by that I do not think of him. I miss him tremendously. As I know you miss yours. Sometimes reality really sucks.

Brad Townsend
06-11-2007, 9:30 AM
My sympathy Bart. I have a few of my late father's tools and I treasure them, though I think if he's watching, he might think I'm a sentimental idiot.

My father was not a warm, fuzzy, sentimental type of person, as was made clear when he moved from his house into a small apartment at age 90. As he sat in a lawn chair watching his household being auctioned off, many friends and neighbors came up to him and offered condolences for him having to part with so many long-held and treasured belongings. My father, with downcast eyes, assumed the expected demeanor of sadness and regret and thanked them for their expressions of sympathy at his loss.

When the sale was almost over, he had my brother and I alone, out of earshot of everyone else. With the wide-eyed excitement of a little kid he said "Can you believe what people are paying for this sh*t!!":eek:

The few tools of my dad's that we have are of great value to us, but the memory of that comment is absolutely priceless. It was 17 years ago and my brother and I still crack up every time we think about it.:D

Bart Leetch
06-11-2007, 9:35 AM
Bart,
You have my sympathy. It is a tough thing. But, do put at least one tool your father used in your shop and use it regularly. That is a very good thing to do...you will keep remembering good things from the past.
Enjoy the tool,
Jim

Jim

All the hand tools & his Bell-saw planer/molder will go in my shop. He has a nice set of brace & bits, block plane #4 & #5 # #78.

This is part of getting Dad & my Step Mom ready to move.

I have a friend that said I could store some of the bigger tools in his shop for a while until I get my storage area re-arranged so they will fit.

Thanks everyone.

Lee Schierer
06-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I helped clean out my father's shop and the few tools my FIL had. I have some of those tools in my shop and they get used fairly often. Dad didn't want his tools to rust and would be happy to see them getting used. I have a few handtools from my SIL's grandfather that were "too old" (mostly hand planes and an old wood chisel) for the family to want them. I also have a very few tools inheirited from my grandfather and each time I use any of those tools, I can feel the experienced hands of the previous owner helping me. I just hope that my cabinet and furniture maiking efforts make each of them proud.

I'm probably never going to go completely neander, but there is no feeling like a well tuned hand plane slicing off a few thousandths of wood from a board to make the fit perfect.

Loren Hedahl
06-11-2007, 3:24 PM
In his later years, my dad traded his more expensive tools to younger guys for labor, i.e., roof work, cement work, etc.

We lived about 60 miles away, but on the way for him to the big city of the area. He would stop by on his way while I was at work and just drop off something that was of little or no value as a trade, visit briefly with my wife and kids for a bit and go on.

Later when my parents were very old and had moved nearby he laughed about it saying that I had way too much stuff already and hoped by adding some more it would "break the camel's back" and I would take it all down to the scrap yard, his and mine together.

Now that they are both gone, I still have some of his tools, nothing of any value, cluttering my shop. I understand now that he absolutely did not worship tools. He used them, abused them, bought, sold, traded them and gave away whatever was left and had a great time producing things in the process.

Sometimes I think I would do well to embrace his philosophy.

Loren

Tom Cowie
06-11-2007, 7:00 PM
Dad passed when I was 10 ( mine accident) my grandfather soon after at 97.
I have a scratch awl and a wooden ruler that are very dear to me. Some say that they are just tools but I carry a lot of warm memories when I use them.

I also have a special Quilt that Mom made when I was young that my children use every night. It's tattered and torn but I promised her that I would use it and not put it in a box.

Memories can be wonderful things the older we get.:)

Tom

Carl Eyman
06-11-2007, 8:33 PM
At age 85 I will have to face the breaking up of my shop one of these days. I hope not too soon because I just paid the rent on it for the next 12 months. Nothing could make me happier than to have my two sons pick up the tools and use them. Knowing someone will have the same enjoyment using them as I have would make giving them up a lot easier. Bart, use them in good spirit. I believe your father will be well pleased to see you do so.

Randal Stevenson
06-12-2007, 12:08 AM
In his later years, my dad traded his more expensive tools to younger guys for labor, i.e., roof work, cement work, etc.

We lived about 60 miles away, but on the way for him to the big city of the area. He would stop by on his way while I was at work and just drop off something that was of little or no value as a trade, visit briefly with my wife and kids for a bit and go on.

Later when my parents were very old and had moved nearby he laughed about it saying that I had way too much stuff already and hoped by adding some more it would "break the camel's back" and I would take it all down to the scrap yard, his and mine together.

Now that they are both gone, I still have some of his tools, nothing of any value, cluttering my shop. I understand now that he absolutely did not worship tools. He used them, abused them, bought, sold, traded them and gave away whatever was left and had a great time producing things in the process.

Sometimes I think I would do well to embrace his philosophy.

Loren

That is a great philosophy and..... (see below)

Dad passed when I was 10 ( mine accident) my grandfather soon after at 97.
I have a scratch awl and a wooden ruler that are very dear to me. Some say that they are just tools but I carry a lot of warm memories when I use them.

I also have a special Quilt that Mom made when I was young that my children use every night. It's tattered and torn but I promised her that I would use it and not put it in a box.

Memories can be wonderful things the older we get.:)

Tom

Sometimes the one aquired the hard way. Several friends of mine have that philosophy, because all they have are memories, after fires.

I can honestly say, I have way too much junk, because of it's sentimental value. Most of it (few tool exceptions), will be gone when I am gone, as I got last dibs on a lot of stuff, due in part to getting first dibs on others (most of the tools, and the house).

suzan odom
06-12-2007, 3:37 PM
I was happy to load up as much as I could fit in the van. He would have been happy too to see it was being used.

David Tiell
06-12-2007, 8:48 PM
I lost my dad 4 years ago last month. He didn't have much in the way of tools I wanted when he left us, but he had always made it a habit to buy and send me tools he thought I might like. Even though I very seldom if ever use any of them, I try to keep them near where the sight brings back memories of the man who was and always will be my best friend and hero. Treasure them always.

Rob Will
06-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Great post Bart, it hits pretty close to home......
(and outside the back door, and over the hill, and behind the barn).
I really would not know where to begin so I won't add to the thoughtful comments already posted here. Thanks for starting this thread.

Rob

Terry Hatfield
06-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Bart,

I hope everything works out. I know it's got to be tough on you.

t

Dave Sinkus
06-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I have a somewhat similar experience as Pat and Tom. My dad died the week after my 18th birdthday. I had come home the weekend before from Army basic training, last stime I saw him. My mom had died 22 months earlier, so the belongings were packed up and the house sold. I have none of my dad's tools.
The serendipity is that I grabbed a bunch of useful tools from my grandma's basement before she moved into a nursing home. I grabbed some pipe wrenches, a hammer, and a plane - a Sargent 409. I recently have come to appreciate (from the folks in this forum) how I can restore it and use it, probably as my dad and grandfather got usage out of it. No power tools, but some connections are there.

I hope you stay connected with your dad, Bart, through his legacy.

Dave

(and thanks for sharing your experience, I got a lot out of it)

Jim Heffner
06-13-2007, 12:06 PM
This is a hard thing to accept.

I have the hard task emotionally of going to pick up almost all my Dad's tools next week end. While I'll enjoy having them it hard seeing Dad at 85 not have them or a place to use them anymore. Most of the tools will be stored except the Bell-saw planer which will be in my shop. I already have most of these tools except the shapers & will store them so I can wheel them down to the shop for use if need be.

Bart, I know that feeling all to well myself. My dad was a plumbing contractor for over 40 years, and when he died in 1994 he left a lot of tools, equipment and supplies that I had to deal with as well. I still have some of those things around, others I sold. To top off that feeling,
I also moved back into the old homeplace to live, and everytime I go down to the shop I'm constantly reminded of him and the times we spent there when I was growing up....now it is my workshop filled with all
of my tools, machines and lumber and etc. Just reminishing here..
Jim Heffner