PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection for Makita 2012NB planer?

Grant Vanbokklen
06-10-2007, 3:32 PM
Anyone have any experience with the dust collection abiltities of the Makita 2012NB planer with this hood? http://www.amazon.com/Makita-193036-7-Collector-2012NB-Planer/dp/B0002H4AEI/ Just curious to know how good it is. I've got the Delta 1200cfm 1 micron collector. Also wondering it that hood is a 4" port or what. Thanks!

Gary Sostrin
06-10-2007, 6:33 PM
I have one on my Makita 2012 and works great when hooked up to my tpo of the line ridgid (very quiet compared to my old craftsman)>. Dust collection is very good. The hose on a regular shop vac (2 1/4') doesn't really fit it well ( 2 1/2"). But just snake the hose inside. I guess to do it right you need an adaptor.

Gary

Grant Vanbokklen
06-10-2007, 7:47 PM
Well I am interested in this planer but want a good dust collection ability. The review says it has only a 3" port, I missed that the first time I read it and did not follow the page all the way down and read all reviews.

Dave Harker
06-10-2007, 11:34 PM
I have that planer, and made my own to hook to my 6" flex hose.

I used a HVAC fitting, normally used under a floor in a home.

Here is a pic, and a link to my web page with more pics and info.
The hole at the near (lower right) end in the pic is for intake air, to get better airflow - it was starved for air trying to rely only on the air flowing past the planer blades.

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/WWShop/dcplaner.html

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/images/dustcollection/dcplFittingIntake.JPG

Grant Vanbokklen
06-11-2007, 3:30 AM
Dave that is great! Thanks for the great link and write-up. But also how are you liking this planer?

Jerry Allen
06-11-2007, 9:29 AM
Grant,
I have the dust collection port from Amazon. It works well and is easy to remove and install with two knobs. I had made my own intially from HVAC stuff, but thought I'd give the Makita one a try. It works better than the one I made.
I was just planing some hard maple and fir last night and it seemed that I was getting an excessive amount of ejection from the front of the planer, which I'll have to look into. Maybe it was just on the thinner pieces. I like my 1012NB a lot. Can't compare it to anything else cause it's the only one I've ever had. Would buy it again. Wait for a $350+ deal at Amazon. As far as the weird port size goes, I use a rubber sewer and drain 2" connector (with stainless clamps at each end--Fernco PlumbQwik P1056-22). On the end that takes the hose I adjust the clamp for a slip fit. Getting the other end of the connector over the end of the dust collector takes some effort, lubricant, and tenacity. But it's cheap and works well. I have the same setup on my Porter Cable table saw ejection port because it is also a weird size.

Gary, small world. Glad to see you have your priorities straight for when you are ready to retire. It's wonderful to play with your own toys every day. Regards to the crew in Redondo.