PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguisher - How big?

Allan Wright
06-10-2007, 9:09 AM
I've read all the threads on the forums here about fire extinguishers. Right now I have my household dry-chemical extinguisher next to my laser, but I'm going to head out and get a C02 extinguisher for this purpose as I really don't want to be trying to get dry chemical dust out of my extinguisher if I ever need to use it.

My question is, how big of an extinguisher do I need? I'm guessing it won't take much to put out a fire in the laser, but is a 'flue fire' in the exhaust duct a real possability? If so would filling the laser with C02 gass with the exhaust fan on work?

Dave Jones
06-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I bought a 10 lb CO2 extinguisher last year, and it is huge. It is so big it would be somewhat unwieldy during a fire. It probably weighs about 30 pounds. If I had seen it first I probably would have bought a 5 lb one instead.

Joe Pelonio
06-10-2007, 1:52 PM
I have 3 lbs., but keep two, one right next to the laser and lower exit, the other near the main exit door.

Mark Koenig
06-10-2007, 6:34 PM
I bought a 5 pound Halon fire extinguisher, smoke detector (it told me that I forgot to turn on the exhaust the other day even before I could smell it...), and a comfy chair to sit to watch the laser...:cool:

Mahallo Mark...

Disclaimer:
Made an idiotic post about some sort of remote system but after watching what could happen in the last few months... I retract that whole thread...

Allan Wright
06-10-2007, 7:30 PM
2 x 3lb or 1x5lb.

Thanks Gentlemen!