PDA

View Full Version : Leigh 1258R-24 Dovetail Jig Questions

Scott Halverson
06-10-2007, 8:51 AM
Hi,

I recently bought a used Leigh Dovetail Jig, Model D1258R-24. It came with the following:
Router Bits, Leigh #70, #80, and #140. It also came with what appears to be a collar, with Leigh #703 stamped on it.

Here's my question. The Jig itself looks like it has never been used. I bought it from a doctor. The router I plan on using with this is a Porter Cable 690 series. It is the 1-3/4 hp model. I also have the Hitachi M12, but I would rather leave that in my table. It seems like I'm missing some pieces. I think it might be some bushings or collar or something.

Can someone tell me what I need to purchase. I plan to do through and half-blind dovetails.

Thanks,

Scott

Russ Massery
06-10-2007, 9:58 AM
I would check the Leigh website they have a info you could ask for. I have the D4 it uses a I believe is the 7/16" guide bushing for a 690 router.

Scott Halverson
06-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Russ. Do you have to buy this stuff from Leigh, or is it available from elsewhere?

Thanks again,

Scott

Steve Alderman
06-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I know that both Rockler & Highland Hardware carry Leigh.

Jim Becker
06-10-2007, 10:26 AM
The #140 cutter will use a 7/16" guide bushing...it's a 1/2" bit for half-blind dovetails. The other two cutters are for through dovetails...I don't recall the correct bushing size for them, but it should be in the manual. If you don't have the manual, contact Leigh...they are great people and will be able to help you out.

You do not need to buy your guide bushings from Leigh, although their offerings are very high quality. What's most important is making sure that your guide bushing is exactly centered in your machine (concentric with the cutter's center) so that you don't have any deviations. Even then, it's a best practice to keep the router in the same orientation as you make your cuts...don't rotate it around, etc.

Russ Massery
06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
I do the buy bits from Leigh, I do know that guys have had good results with whiteside bit for them as well. If you don't have a manual it's a really necessary to have one. And a great manual at that.

Scott Halverson
06-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks Guys,

Russ I do have a manual, and the video. After watching a little bit of the video, I was so excited to try it that I turned it off and started to set the jig up. When I got to the bushings and bits things got a little more complicated.

Jim, I do like to buy quality parts.

Steve, do you know if the Leigh parts are going to be cheaper at the places you mentioned then they are from Leigh themselves?

I do not have a whole lot of router experience as you probably guessed by now. I guess I am stuck for now. I can call Leigh in the morning.

So when I go to order the stuff tomorrow, what do you think I should ask for? I hate to call in an order only to realize I forgot something that I didn't know I needed.

Do you think I should buy and router bits also?

Thanks again!

John Lucas
06-10-2007, 1:23 PM
Scott,
Do yourself a favor and go back and play the DVD and then read the manual. They are both excellent. Then call Leigh and ask for their support person and explain what you want to do. That is not a typical sales order desk. They know their product inside and out. Your PC 690 will work fine. You might need nothing additional at all.

Here is Beth starting work with Leigh D4
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/dts-ld2.jpg

Here is start of story: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/dts-ld4-1.htm

Scott Halverson
06-10-2007, 3:15 PM
John,

Thanks for your help. You and Beth make it look easy to make some nice looking dovetail joints.

Thanks again,

Scott

Russ Massery
06-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Scott, I suggest using and buying only the 8mm bits. Porter cable makes a 8mm collet for there routers. Only place I was ever able to find it was Highland hardware. The reason is the 8mm bits are heavier for better isolation (less chatter).

Scott Halverson
06-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi Guys,

Well, I bit the bullet this morning and called Leigh. Very nice and helpfull people to deal with. Russ, I took your advise and went with the 8mm bits. They now sell a collet for the Porter Cable router so the 8mm bits fit.

Thanks for everyones help on this topic.

Scott