PDA

View Full Version : Seat Rail Brace (longish)

Carl Eyman
01-09-2004, 4:18 PM
As posted here several times I am building the second batch of ten chairs. I am now at the point of installing the four corner braces that reinforce the four corners of the seat rails. I've done 6 of them as shown in the first photo. Notice this is a 45* brace that probably depends on screws for most of its strength. The miters are cut at 45* to the grain which is not too cool so the glue strength is questionable. This morning on chair 7 I did what you see in the second picture. Here I have two 1" x 1" blocks glued to the seat rails flat grain to flat grain. Then a quadrant piece is glued to them face grain to face grain. This should be an ok glue joint I think, but in one case the long grain of the block is perpendicular to the grain of the quadrant. So, in the last picture I've turned the quadrant so both blocks are at 45* to the grain of the quadrant. We have face grain to face grain in all cases, but there is some chance expansion and contraction will loosen the joint since the grain directions are at 45*

What think you, all? Which of the three methods do you favor?

Carl Eyman
01-09-2004, 4:25 PM
The third picture did not go thru/ so here it is: NO I still can't get it to post. I'll start a new thread