PDA

View Full Version : Gel stain headache

jason lambert
06-10-2007, 1:45 AM
Well I am finishing some oak furniture with Behlen's Qualalacq lacquerand, I gave my wife the task of picking a stain we tried it on some scrap wood and she liked a minwax Mahogany, it was only available in a gel stain from the place where I bought it. Never using a gel stain before I decided to give it a try, the guy at the counter said it was just a easy.

I put it on and it was not even no matter what we did we then use mineral spirits all over the thing to cut it and make it even. I also added mineral spirits to the stain to make it less of a gel, and it went on better what a project. The trouble is we are making a bunch of this stuff and we want it all to match. So it looks like I am stuck with this gel headache. Am I doing this wrong? Can I just cut the stuff with mineral sprits and spray it? I don't get this gel stuff.

Joe Unni
06-10-2007, 9:06 AM
the guy at the counter said it was just a easy.

Did he say how to use this easy stuff? My guess - no.

Though I've not used the Minwax gel, I suspect it's like others I've used. It's meant to be used as is and NOT cut with anything. It goes on quite easy with a foam brush, but is to be followed with a rag to wipe it off. Like Mr. Miagi says, "wax on - wax off" The same applies to gel stains, put them on and wipe them off. Be mindful of inside corners and details as the gel can collect and be a bit tedious to get out.

Good luck!

-joe

Jim Becker
06-10-2007, 9:51 AM
1) Did you apply it to scrap first to see how it worked, or directly to your project. ;) Please understand I'm not dinging you here, but posting this question/suggestion so others who are new to finishing remember to test first before committing to a finishing regimen.

2) Gel stains are designed to sit on top of the surface and are not unlike glazes...they require a bit of working around to get things even. Joe detailed the technique.

jason lambert
06-10-2007, 11:37 AM
My wife tested on two small scrap pieces but it did not appear to be a issue on two small scrap pieces with no cornors or nooks. I did not get te uneveness till we pit it on big pieces.