PDA

View Full Version : I give in........

Rob Littleton
01-09-2004, 3:31 PM
I have read enough and seen enough of what you turners do and I am impressed. I suppose to be with the in crowd, I should get a lathe. Actually, my wife has wanted to get a lathe for a while. Just not confident really. Anyhoo, for someone that barely knows how to spell lathe, any good pointers, books etc? 220 or 110. I was looking at the Jet JWL-1642. I can rest my belly on the tableof it coz its the right height:-(.

I hear you guys talk about the Nova chuck and other terms. I am greener than a tree that has just been cut.

Any good pointers, books, brands of cutters etc.?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jim Becker
01-09-2004, 3:54 PM
The Jet 1642 is a very nice machine for the money...especially the 2hp version. (requires 240v) For a few dollars more, you can have the venerable PM 3520A. Osolnick sells them for about $2200.

Richard Allen
01-09-2004, 4:08 PM
Hi Rob

I would suggest that you attend a meeting or two of your local woodturning club. You can find a list of woodturning clubs at the AAW (I would provide the web address but I have run afoul of the rule here at SMC in the past by providing links so ...). You don't have to join the woodturning club to attend a couple of meetings.

Woodturning is fairly specialized and as such requires a good deal of equipment that you likely don't have.

Safety:

Face shield This needs to be a face shield that is comfortable, a face shield that you wear out of habit.

Respirator This needs to be one you wear. It does no good if the one you buy filters particles and organic compounds down to 0.01 microns if you don't wear it.

Hands on instruction A little hands on instruction so you know what to expect from a lathe will help reduce the chance of doing the wrong thing and getting hurt

Lathe there are to many to mention. A good starter lathe is the Jet mini. A good high end lathe is a Oneway 2436. That is $200 - $5,000. There are a LOT of lathes in between

Tools The key is HSS (High Speed Steel). Loads of good brands. Expect to pay $20 - $80 per tool and expect to start with at least 5 tools.

Sharpening system usually a 8" half speed grinder fitted with aluminum oxide wheels and a grinding jig designed for turning tool

That is a start, ask question at a club meeting and in no time you and your wife will be making wonderful round things.

Steve Inniss
01-09-2004, 5:22 PM
Or choose an SMC user near you, and invite yourself for a visit.

Lots of people are starting out with the Jet these days. But, if your budget brings you to $1800.00 -Nova DVR.