PDA

View Full Version : Gotta get myself some cheap sunglasses

Doug Shepard
06-09-2007, 9:32 PM
Anybody know of anybody other than Solar Shield that makes decent sunglasses with side shields that last? I've been buying the Solar Shields and vision-wise have been very happy with them. But their longevity sucks. The cheap plastic breaks just putting them on your face. I've broken 3-4 pair over the last couple of summers (another one today) and would like to find something with wire reinforced side pieces, but otherwise as close as possible to the Solar Shields.
This is the type I'm looking for: http://www.visivite.com/solar-shield.html

TIA

And just cuz I stumbled across a link to ZZ Top's Cheap Sunglasses while price shopping for Solar Shields here's an oldie but goodie:

When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that streets a-runnin and try to beat the masses
And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah

Spied a little thing and I followed her all night
In a funky fine levis and her sweaters kind of tight
She had a west coast strut that was as sweet as molases
But what really knocked me out was her cheap sunglasses

Now go out and get yourself some big black frames
With the glass so dark thay wont even know your name
And the choice is up to you cause they come in two classes:
Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses

Joe Chritz
06-10-2007, 9:28 AM
The song reminds me of last night. :eek:

Any chance you can use wraparounds instead. If so the numbers available are very large.

Many of the shooting glasses are wraparound and have full side protection. I believe they pass the same standards.

Many have interchangeable lenses for different applications. I use something like that for Motorcycle so they can be changed out to clear or amber at dusk and night.

If not I can't help ya.

Joe

Jim Becker
06-10-2007, 9:46 AM
]Any chance you can use wraparounds instead. If so the numbers available are very large.

Exactly what I was going to ask as that opens things up substantially including "safety" varieties that are very durable.

Doug Shepard
06-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Well wraparounds wouldn't be my first choice, but if there's something more durable out there, I'm open to taking a look at them. Fire away with any suggestions. While I like the Solar Shields, I'm tired of forking out $15-$25 (depending on sales) to keep replacing them when the ear pieces snap.

Pete Simmons
06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
While the Sunglasses topic is going, how about anybody know where to get safety magnifiers/reading glasses?

I have a nice pair with no info on them as to make. They are fine but they are getting a little beat up. Specs of CA glue off the lathe.

I can find lotza bifocal safety glasses but I want the whole lens to be the magnifier.

Jim Becker
06-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Pete... http://www.rx-safety.com/Safety-Glasses/index.htm will make them up to what you need. 'Just tell them what magnification you want.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Some one said wraparounds and I agree. Lots of sporters, cops, and soldiers use wraparounds because they are (1) part of the lens and won't fall off; (2) give more peripheral vision; and (3) help keep mope crap outta your eyes.

I think they make you look like an insectiod thingimajig but if those issues are important than style takes a back seat.

Joe Chritz
06-10-2007, 12:41 PM
What Cliff said again.

I run a motorcycle patrol in the summer. The pair I use is used for shooting, riding and since they are polarized I use them for accident scenes and the most important.......Fishing! I just had them on cutting wood to clear and area for a hay storage.

Some of the high end units will take a shotgun BB from close range with no penetration.

Joe

Doyle Alley
06-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Because I fish in the bright Florida sun, I have to be careful to get only glasses that are well polarized. However, I have a really hard time paying good money for the high dollar glasses. What I have found that meets my needs and my wallet are the Strike King brand glasses. You can get them at Walmart for about $11 (in the fishing section). They have good side lenses and very good UV protection.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2007, 11:57 PM
It's truly amazing how like realty.....when buying sunglasses.....location...location....location.... ...I had a pair break on me while on vacation in Durango CO a couple of years ago in the high tide of tourist summer season.......I paid 5 X the price for a pair I could have bought locally here.......of course, those I bought locally woudn't have had the velvet cloth bag to store them in.......:rolleyes:

Rich Stewart
06-14-2007, 2:01 PM
I got some nice polorized sunglasses that fit over my glasses off QVC. I've had them for a year or so now with no problems. Check the QVC site.

F10702 is the part number