PDA

View Full Version : Repair job

Curt Fuller
06-09-2007, 7:54 PM
A while back I took a goblet with a segmented type celtic knot to our turning club and they asked if I would demo how to do it. So I glued up the wood and got all ready to do it last thursday. I get pretty nervous when I have to do something like that so I was pretty rattled. Things weren't going too bad and then I got to the skinny section of the stem and hit a spot in the wood where there was a void that I didn't know was in there. The stem broke and that was pretty much the end of the demo. I had a spare piece of wood but not enough time to start over. Pretty embarrassing to say the least. Anyway, I brought the pieces home and did a salvage job on it today. The cup is ash with wenge for the celtic ring design. I made a base from the ash, drilled a small hole in it and the base of the cup and made a new stem from wenge. 7" tall by 1.75" dia. Deft lacquer finish.

Patrick Taylor
06-09-2007, 8:15 PM
Great save! I never would have known. AND I really like the contrasting stem.

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2007, 9:41 PM
As far as I know - that's the original design! Looks great!

Shane Whitlock
06-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey Curt, that turned out great. It was fun watching ya turn it, well at least the top half anyways ;) . Ya did a great job on the demo.

Happy Turning,
Shane Whitlock

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2007, 1:11 AM
Nice save Curt. You would never know.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2007, 1:43 AM
Beautfully done Curt! What else would one expect from the goblet meister?

Chris Barton
06-10-2007, 7:02 AM
I like you goblet Curt and the fact you saved it makes it more unique.

Ernie Nyvall
06-10-2007, 7:23 AM
Great save Curt. The goblet is another fine example of your work.

Tom Sherman
06-10-2007, 1:31 PM
Excellent save Curt, great looking goblet.

Keith Burns
06-10-2007, 3:14 PM
Great save Curt !! Again I must say that you are the Goblet Master !!