PDA

View Full Version : Non-darkening Finish for Fir/Hemlock

Loren Hedahl
06-09-2007, 7:45 PM
The ceiling on my home, built in the early '60s, is fir/hemlock car decking. The original finish has a white tint that has kept the fir from darkening.

I am in the process of remodeling a bath that didn't have a fan and the finish has deteriorated and mildewed to the point I am sanding it down to bare wood.

The original finish held up great elsewhere and I would either like to use the same, something similar or perhaps there is another non-darkening, non-yellowing finish for fir/hemlock that would be appropriate.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Loren

Steve Schoene
06-11-2007, 8:04 AM
If I have this in my head correctly, the original finish may have been something like a "pickling" stain that gave the white tint. If white pigment is more apparent in crevices that's a pretty good indication of that. This would be a brush on, wipe off kind of product.

For a non-yellowing top coat over that the original finish might well have been shellac, possibly white shellac. Shellac is very good (about the best) at blocking water vapor, only moderately good at resisting liquid water. But liquid water isn't a problem on ceilings. Today, shellac would still work well but you do have other alternatives--particularly waterborne acyrlic finishes.

Bill White
06-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I have just finished (completed) our new front door which is fir. I stained/glazed it. I used "Old Masters" clear water borne for the final finish. Five coats inside and out.
The Benny Moore dealer swore to me that this stuff will out live spar every time. Time will tell, but it sure looks nice.
Bill

Loren Hedahl
06-11-2007, 2:36 PM
Steve,

I think you may be correct about the original being a white pickling stain because I can see wiping marks when I get close enough.

Now with more thorough scrutiny, all areas of the house except the bath rooms have the white stain with no overcoat or almost no overcoat.

The baths have an overcoat. I haven't done the alcohol - lacquer thinner test to see if it is shellac or lacquer yet.

Bill,

We have a Ben Moore store about 10 miles from here, so that is an excellent lead.

Thanks for your replies. I think I'm on track again.

Loren

Greg Cole
06-11-2007, 2:52 PM
Bill,
Can you elaborate a little on your white stain? Maybe even post a pic or 2?
I have a deck project all but wrapped up, and am planning on staining all the wood bits white..... at least planning on it.

Greg