PDA

View Full Version : Assorted turnings

Jerry Pittman
06-09-2007, 6:49 PM
I've been looking at everyone elses beautiful work for a few weeks. I've been practicing for a few months and produced a few pieces.
Now, I guess, it's time to post some things I done over the last few months and get some opinions other than LOML because she's biased. :)
Comments welcome
Jerry

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2007, 7:02 PM
Very nice turnings there Jerry.

Welcome to The Creek and Welcome to the Vortex of turning. :D

TYLER WOOD
06-09-2007, 7:06 PM
I really like the Brazilian cherry pice, and the oak candle holders. The others are nice too. I think the base on the last one is a little tall for it. Nice beginnigs! I welcome you to the creek and, congrats on the nice beginnigs!

Jerry Pittman
06-09-2007, 7:38 PM
I really like the Brazilian cherry pice, and the oak candle holders. The others are nice too. I think the base on the last one is a little tall for it. Nice beginnigs! I welcome you to the creek and, congrats on the nice beginnigs!
Tyler,
Yes, I agree with your comment re: the base on the Walnut bowl. It didn't look that way on the lathe so I finished it while it was chucked up. When it came off, I realized my proportions were off. I've tried to put a couple things back on the lathe and modify them but dfidn't have good results; I managed to ruin both of them. :(
Thanks for the comment.
Jerry

Patrick Taylor
06-09-2007, 8:27 PM
Welcome! Your attention to detail and finish really shows.

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2007, 9:45 PM
Jerry - Welcome to the Creek! Nice work - like the cherry bowl - love the finishes! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Ernie Nyvall
06-10-2007, 7:42 AM
Welcome Jerry. Looks like a fine start.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Jerry welcome to SMC. Looks to me like your practice has paid off. Those are some very nice turnings.

Dave Carey
06-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Jerry,
Nice work. What finish are you using? I particularly like the cherry bowl. The candle holders look like great hostess gifts. Cheers

Doug M Jones
06-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I really like the cherry bowl and I may have to "borrow" the design for the candle holders for an upcoming event.

Very nice work!

Paul Engle
06-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Nice work on all of it Jerry, I like your segmented Oak , nice joinery and finish. A lot of people liked my ring segment oak bowls with lid so much I have orders for a dozen for Christmas already. Something about the way the grain/s changing direction/s that the ladies like . Finished looks excellent on the walnut bowl.:D

Jerry Pittman
06-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Dave,
Both bowls were given several coats of Tung oil, followed by satin wipe-on poly, followed by one coat of salad bowl finish. The salad bowl finish was just to keep SHMBO happy in case she or our daughter uses use them for nuts or candy instead of just to look pretty.

Bernie, Thanks. Is that your DVR stand I see on Nova Owners forum?

Doug,
Go right ahead and borrow it. :)

Paul,
Thanks.

To All who made comments to date,
These are really satisfying comments coming from such accomplished turners are this forum has.
Jerry

Tom Sherman
06-10-2007, 2:00 PM
Jerry Welcome to the Creek, you have an excellent start I like the Cherry bowl very much. The candle holder and the box are cool, I like the Walnut bowl but agree that the foot is a bit tall. All in all good work.

Joseph Peacock
06-10-2007, 2:42 PM
Welcome to the smc Mr.Jerry,:cool: WOW!!!!!!!!!THAT'S VERY,VERY,VERY,VERY,VERY GOOD Mr.Jerry!!!!!!!!!!!!:D ;) :cool:

Keith Burns
06-10-2007, 3:06 PM
Jerry you are off to a great start !! Your attention to detail shows in your finish. Keep it up !!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2007, 3:46 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jerry! Fantastic turnings and the finishes are gorgeous!