PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Cheesheads, Camping North or South of Milwaukee

John Bailey
06-09-2007, 4:58 PM
I'm in the planning stages of a kayak trip down Lake Michigan and would like to paddle around Milwaukee. Anyone know of campgrounds, or anywhere else, a kayaker could camp north and south of Milwaukee.

Thanks for any info.

John

Dan Larson
06-09-2007, 9:22 PM
Hi John,

Cliffside Park in Caledonia (south of Milwaukee) might work for you.

http://www.racineco.com/publicworks/parks.aspx

I've never spent any time there, so I can't vouch for how nice it is, but they do have many camp sites and it is on the lake. If you're interested, I can swing by there sometime and check it out for you.

I'm curious about your trip... what are your start & end points? When I lived in Chicago, I kayaked extensively on the stretch of shore from the WI/IL border down to the north side of Chicago. Since I moved up here to Milwaukee, I've not had time to do any paddling... my poor boat is getting dusty sitting in the garage!:(

Dan

John Bailey
06-10-2007, 8:10 AM
Thanks for the tip Dan. That works out perfect for south of Milwaukee. Now, I just have to find a place on the north side. As far as how nice it has to be - it doesn't. I'll be camping and a spot big enough to pitch a tent will suffice. It doesn't need to be a campground either, just a small spot on some nice private owner's land will do. While I'm sure I'll find places to get out and stretch along the Milwaukee shoreline, I didn't figure I'd find a place to camp. So, I'd like to start just north of Milwaukee and end up in Caledonia for that day's paddle.

As far as the trip - remember it's in the planning stages - it'll start in my home town of East Jordan, MI, up around north west Michigan to the Mackinaw Bridge, across the southern shore of the UP, south along the Garden Peninsula and Door County, continue south on the western shore of Lake Michigan and end on the north side of Chicago about where Hwy. 64 hits Lake Michigan. Yup, I know, that's about 500 mi., give or take a few. My wife and I have guided sea kayak trips in Greece for the last three years (she's done that the last 8) and all my kayaking in that time has revolved around taking care of other people. I'm ready for a trip on my own, or with other competent sea kayakers. If I can work it out, I'll start mid-July and end in mid-August. Of course a lot has to fall in place before the planning finalizes, and the chances of even starting the trip are slim, but, gotta' start somewhere.

You oughta' dust off that kayak and join me in Milwaukee, or sooner.

John

Dan Larson
06-11-2007, 5:36 PM
Sounds a fantastic journey that you're planning! I hope that it works out so that you can make the trip.

For your next overnight stop on your trek south you might consider Illinois Beach State Park in Zion, IL. I've never camped there, but I used to launch from the beach there on occasion.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/PARKS/R2/ILBEACH.HTM

From Zion down to your proposed end point at North Ave. in Chicago, I suspect you'll be hard pressed to find a place to camp-- although you might be able to make it in one day. You might consider contacting the Lincoln Park Boat Club in regard to pulling your boat out at their facility in Diversey Harbor. Perhaps they could also help you with logistical support in the City?

http://www.lpbc.net/

If you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me. GOOD LUCK!

Dan

John Bailey
06-11-2007, 6:51 PM
Thanks Dan,

I've got Illinois State Park on the map already. I've also found out they're having a sea kayak symposium on Door County during the time I'm going through. I'll have to time that one to make the event.

John