PDA

View Full Version : Project Pic: Giant Jewelry Box integrated on dresser

Ed Garrett
06-09-2007, 3:44 PM
Hi Friends,

I introduced myself a couple of weeks ago and some of you kindly asked for some pics of some furniture. So far I’ve made about 10 pieces of big furniture. It typically takes me a year or two per piece because I really get into the details, textures, and finishes. Attached are some views of a combination dresser/jewelry box made for LOML in the early 90’s. The jewelry box on top is 48” wide by 30” deep and consists of over 200 pieces of oak (I’ve since gotten into more interesting wood types). The jewelry box alone has 5 large drawers, 3 hidden drawers, 2 large compartments (with euro-hinged lids), 4 hidden compartments, and a southwest desert landscape theme. I know you’re thinking this must have been expensive because of the cost of all the jewelry it may have prompted. Not the case however, she makes her own jewelry…

glenn bradley
06-09-2007, 3:52 PM
That is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. You are an artist and a craftsman my friend.

Bill Wyko
06-09-2007, 4:27 PM
Absolutly fantastic. I really like the southwest theme (I live in Tucson AZ) Your talents are top notch. Do you ever wonder what they would say at the antique road show a couple hundred years from now about this work of art?:) No matter what the LOML is not allowed to see this.:D She'd want one.

Bruce Page
06-09-2007, 5:03 PM
A lot of different skills went into making that.

Very unique, I like it!

Don Bullock
06-09-2007, 6:09 PM
Now that's one of the most unique pieces I've seen. Great ctaftsmanship. You're a true artist to boot.

Dick Bringhurst
06-09-2007, 6:25 PM
Your imagination and craftmanship are beyound reproach. Beautiful work. If I did that i'd be afraid my wife would fill it up! Dick B.

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2007, 6:31 PM
Beautiful....just beautiful.!!!! :cool:

I sure hope the LOML doesn't see this. :rolleyes:

suzan odom
06-09-2007, 6:56 PM
the carved southwest theme goes along with the cow skull on the wall.

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2007, 6:57 PM
the carved southwest theme goes along with the cow skull on the wall.

DOH!!!! I didn't even notice that. Good eye Suzan. :)

Dave Ray
06-09-2007, 7:25 PM
Ed, I can readily see why it takes you a year or so on a project. You have crossed the line into art. Outstanding talent and skill demonstrated here. WOW!

Ron Fritz
06-09-2007, 7:27 PM
Very nice craftsmanship Ed. You have extreme patients to work on your piece for so long. Ron

Ed Garrett
06-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I really appreciate your comments with your woodworking perspectives. Sometimes when I show a piece like this to a friend, I get the impression they figure it took a weekend or two to make. Thanks again.

Peter Stahl
06-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Ed,

Beautiful piece! If I made a jewelry box that big She'd want to fill it up.