PDA

View Full Version : Contrators saw upgrades

steve scheldt
06-09-2007, 1:43 PM
I'm upgrading the pulleys and adding a link belt to my circa 1978 delta contractors saw. When I removed the arbor pulley the spline came off with it. I removed the set screw and tapped the spline out of the slot to reinstall with the new pulley. Just wondering if the spline should have come off like that, I thought it was pressed onto the arbor shaft. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Jim Thiel
06-09-2007, 3:21 PM
Nothing to fret over, the key (spline) keeps the pulley from spinning on the arbor.

Jim

steve scheldt
06-13-2007, 6:23 PM
It's running 100% smoother. I couldn't get the motor pulley off so I'm running it now with a 21/4" pulley on the arbor and a 2-3/4" on the motor. With the link belt on it's so much smoother. I stood a nickel on edge and turned it on and the nickel didn't even quiver.

Al Killian
06-13-2007, 6:30 PM
The spline is called a key and is ment to brake if somthing gets jamb up. It is meant to come out of the keyway. When ever you are removeing the pulley it is a good idea to make sure that it still fits snug between the pulley and the shaft.

Bruce Wrenn
06-13-2007, 10:00 PM
The spline is called a key and is ment to brake if somthing gets jamb up. It is meant to come out of the keyway. When ever you are removeing the pulley it is a good idea to make sure that it still fits snug between the pulley and the shaft.Key is to lock pulley and shaft together. Breakaway keys are used in lawnmower engines, to protect crank shaft from damage.

James Carmichael
06-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I couldn't get the motor pulley off .

Steve,

The motor shaft and pulley on my old Craftsman saw has shallow, right-hand threads on it. The pulley has to be twisted off to the left.

Chuck Lenz
06-14-2007, 6:59 PM
What ? No mention of fitting my newly designed dust chute to the saw ? I'm disapointed. Oh well. You'll luv the new pulleys and link belt though.

Joe Mioux
06-14-2007, 8:28 PM
What ? No mention of fitting my newly designed dust chute to the saw ? I'm disapointed. Oh well. You'll luv the new pulleys and link belt though.

OH Yea :), Chuck, really cool dust chute!!!, I want to build one for my GI.