PDA

View Full Version : Almost finished Entertaiment Center.

Luis Oliveira
06-09-2007, 1:37 PM
Hi all,
OK these are my first time posting my project. All I can say, Woodworking is a long journey of learning and I am just beginning.
This project is 103"(W) by 93"(H) built-in, is was broken into 6 sections so that it was a bit more easy to move to the upstairs game room.
Wood use: the frame is pecan, the carcass is birch plywood.
The color: used transtint brown Mahogany, application: sanded to 180, and used Zinsser SealCoat and the transtint, then I used 3 coats of minwax poly, I used a brushes, and the rocker hvlp spray gun which is only $79.00
Lessons learned: as far as building the project I was very satisfied, everything end up very square and I am happy to know that even when I don’t have a big shop for this type of project, with a couple of saw-horses and MDF tops I was able to make a strait enough surface to build the entire project, I guess it help I made it in sections.
Much to learn about finishing, in this particular project I would have chosen to pre-finish the inside of the cabinets using the spray gun. It was my first time using the SealCoat, and I really wanted to use waterbase topcoats but I just could not find an easy and detail recipe to follow. Some of the terminology still is very confusing to me and I have not taken any classes so I don’t really know what things like scuff sanding means and a thin-wet coat means I guess I just have to see it one of these days.

As far as the entire project is concern, I have learned that once you have a cabinet like this, it is very difficult to choose speakers; most speakers are not really cabinet friendly. I have also found out that speakers need to be placed at ear level, including the center channel, which in my case is all the way in the top. Last I also found that subwoofers should never be placed inside an entertainment center, as it produces too much distortion… All this I am writing are comments that people with audio video experience have told me, so… I have decided I will not finish the entire project until I buy all the components and I make some adjustments if necessary
Things left to do: connect all the sections, install the doors and finish the crown molding and side moldings.

Last my experience with pecan, not a very easy wood to work with, it would wrap as soon as I cut to size and it was so hard I loss a few pieces because while using pocket hold the screw will break and I was not able to re-use the hole.
It stains very well and it sands very nicely, the boards I used this time seam to have big open pores and it was very difficult to stain until I used the spray gun.

I hope you guys enjoy. Many thanks to so many people that gave me advise along the way. From beginning to end 3 months to the point in these pictures.

Luis Oliveira
06-09-2007, 1:39 PM
more pictures...

Luis Oliveira
06-09-2007, 1:40 PM
Initial design... Oh I fogot not an expert taking pictures either...

suzan odom
06-09-2007, 6:58 PM
that actually looks nice

Dave Ray
06-09-2007, 7:17 PM
I especialy like the color. Woodworkering is neat in that it connects us to so many other interesting subjects, like in your case sound, placement of speakers and such. We constantly are learning. Great project Louis

Jim Becker
06-09-2007, 7:35 PM
Really nice job, Luis! I'm looking forward to seeing how you arrange the crown, too. Great project.

Craig D Peltier
06-09-2007, 7:51 PM
There is a way to get out those screws. I think its called grrabit.

Nice job on that large piece.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-09-2007, 9:25 PM
Nice job and a challenging project for any woodworker. It looks like you're up to the challenge.

Jamie Buxton
06-09-2007, 9:37 PM
.... As far as the entire project is concern, I have learned that once you have a cabinet like this, it is very difficult to choose speakers; most speakers are not really cabinet friendly. I have also found out that speakers need to be placed at ear level, including the center channel, which in my case is all the way in the top. Last I also found that subwoofers should never be placed inside an entertainment center, as it produces too much distortion…..

It seems that you'll get varying opinions from audio experts. I'm building an entertainment center for a customer whose speaker supplier says that: the center speaker is okay above the screen; the subwoofer can go darn near anyplace -- in cabinets or behind chairs or whatever; and that it is the side speakers which are supposed to be at screen level. Furthermore, he says that the side speakers should not be near cabinet edges. He says ideally they'd be placed flat in a big wall, or hanging in mid air.

ryan smythe
06-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Great job that looks really nice.

Joe Chritz
06-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Looks sharp.

If you haven't picked up the audio system yet you could always go with a Bose and Jewel cubes.

I have an older system and it will rattle stuff off the walls. The speakers are tiny and could mount to the inside sides at any level.

Joe

Luis Oliveira
06-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks all for the kind words.

Andre Masse
06-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Great job! Very nice looking!

The only thing I'm worried about is the subwoofer. If you still can, I'll move it out of the entertainment center. Theses beasts may cause a lot of rattle...

Peter Stahl
06-10-2007, 1:03 PM
Luis,

Very nice for a first project, or a second or third.....

Mark Hulette
06-11-2007, 8:37 AM
Luis-

Very elegant! Nice work and I really like the mahogany stain you used.

How did you like the HVLP system? Thanks for sharing.

Luis Oliveira
06-11-2007, 2:48 PM
The HVLP machine is very good. I think it performed the best applying the poly than the Seal-Coat. even when I was using the 1mm tip applying the seal-coat I had a hard time trying controling the fluid quantity.
All and all I think I woulbe buy it again, but I have no experience with more sophisticated sprayers. At this point I am considering the fuji 4 stage HVLP system, (blue exterior). but it is too much money and I only do about 1 project a year.

I hope this helps.

jason lambert
06-12-2007, 1:41 PM
Love the color really nice job!!!

As for the sound you guys are killing me... 95% of the entertainment centers are bad for sound.

Speakers can not go in a cubby hole, idealy 90% of the speakers out there should be 3 feet from any wall. Putting a speaker in a hole or in a cornor makes them more muddy and increases the bass, extra bass sounds good but is very bad. Also most like to be isloated and not laying on wood, you can put then on wood but put some spikes on them or something to dapin the vibration and let the speaker float, they are tuned to the enclosure and placing the enclosure on wood will change the tone and imaging.

As for the hight the mid range or tweeters should be ear level. The trouble is you also want your tv there. So putting the speaker directly below or above the TV works fine. The most important thing here is that the speakers are all the same, do not get a unmatched center. Also for HT get the bigest center you can that is where 80% of your sound will come from.

Bose is nice but the system does really wired things to the sound to allow it to be so small if you have a little more room, which it look like you do you can do alot better going with a bookshelf speaker system. Not knowing your buget I can't recomend anything.

Subs can't go anyhere in the room. In a cornor you will get more boomey bass if that is what you want, more towards the center you will get tigher bass (better for music). You can tell where the sub works best by hooking up where you are going to listen and then walking around where you want to place it and listen to the difference. But it is the easyest speaker to place.

Luis Oliveira
06-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Jason Thank you very much for all the imput. If you see the last two pictures, I actually have speaker wire outside the entertaiment center, so far I have four choices as far as speakers:
PolkAudio.
Front LSi7 $630.00
Center CSi5 $367.00
Surround Fxi3 $321.00
Velodyne DLS-3750 $500.00

PolkAudio.
Front RTi4 $250.00
Center CSi3 $180.00
Surround FXi3 $321.00

Polk RM20.

B&W
Front 602 S3 $450.00
Center LCR600 S3 $500.00
Surround DS6 S3 $700.00

B&W choice being at the top of my budget.

Don't know much about velodyne or subs, so I just put something down.

I am also planning to buy a receiver Denon AVR-2807.

No planning on buying any separate pre-amps or amps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Mioux
06-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Jason Thank you very much for all the imput. If you see the last two pictures, I actually have speaker wire outside the entertaiment center, so far I have four choices as far as speakers:
PolkAudio.
Front LSi7 $630.00
Center CSi5 $367.00
Surround Fxi3 $321.00

PolkAudio.
Front RTi4 $250.00
Center CSi3 $180.00
Surround FXi3 $321.00

Polk RM20.

B&W
Front 602 S3 $450.00
Center LCR600 S3 $500.00
Surround DS6 S3 $700.00

B&W choice being at the top of my budget.

Don't know much about velodyne or subs, so I just put something down.

I am also planning to buy a receiver Denon AVR-2807.

No planning on buying any separate pre-amps or amps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

YOu have my stereo!

Denon receiver, Polk Audio center, front and rear speakers and a big 12" Velodyne Sub.

the velodyne works very well with the Polk Audio speakers!

Joe

Don Eddard
06-15-2007, 7:42 PM
that actually looks nice
[blinking and wiping my eyes...]
Did suzan say something almost encouraging and friendly?

Must be an imposter.

Matt P
06-16-2007, 12:13 PM
looks great!