PDA

View Full Version : Shop Vac DC starter cheap...

Bill Huber
06-09-2007, 1:14 PM
I just happened to find this and it is a nice starter kit for using a shop vac for your DC.

I was at HD and they have the Ridgid for $69 and it only had 3 gates.
So for $39 I think this great price.

http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393

(8) 36" clear PVC collection tubes
(6) Vacuum gates
(5) Tube couplings
(3) 45° elbows
(4) Tee-y fittings
(2) 90° elbows
(10) Mounting clamps
Mounting hardware

Bart Leetch
06-09-2007, 4:04 PM
The Vac filter will plug up very quickly & then won't work. Save your money for a proper DC system.

If you want to use it for a vac & just be able to plug in at different spots around the shop it will work ok for that.

Art Mann
06-09-2007, 4:35 PM
I'm with Bart. You can get a trash can lid separater that will cut down on the plugging, but you still won't have a dust collection system that will do the job. I only use my shop vac for small scale collection of dust from hand power tools like a sander or router. It simply doesn't have the capacity to handle the volume of waste from a planer or tablesaw.

Phil Thien
06-09-2007, 5:07 PM
Shop vac is fine when your tools have thoughtfully designed dust extraction ports. I wouldn't want to try it on a Unisaw where the dust collection hasn't improved since inception. But, on my Ryobi BT3000, my router table with downdraft box, my 8-5/8" jointer/planer, and my tiny bandsaw, a shop vac is really the optimum solution.

In my case, going to a dust collector would be a downgrade from a shop vac on my router table and my bandsaw. That is because my router table has a downdraft box and the more static pressure, the better. And my bandsaw is an Inca w/ 9" wheels and a 1.25" dust port (try getting a dust collector to suck anything through that!).

The shop vac has no trouble keeping up w/ the table saw (which has a blade shroud). And it sucks everything in from the Inca 8-5/8" jointer/planer, too.

I use a HEPA filter in my shop vac to keep the super-fines from recirculating. I use bags in the shop vac to keep the filter from plugging. And I use a pre-separator to keep from having to replace bags.

I also use a network similar to the Shop Vac one you found. Mine is made from flex hose and wyes and blast gates I purchased at Rockler. So I can switch from one tool to another in seconds. I limited the length of the hose by thoughtfully arranging my tools.

So a shop vac can be the solution, if you have the right problem. :)

Bill Huber
06-09-2007, 5:12 PM
The Vac filter will plug up very quickly & then won't work. Save your money for a proper DC system.

If you want to use it for a vac & just be able to plug in at different spots around the shop it will work ok for that.

That is correct unless you have a cyclone in front of the vac. I just got mine and it works really great. I just do not have the room for a large DC so I have to go with what I have.

glenn bradley
06-09-2007, 5:21 PM
My vac and seperator just hangout on the wall. I drag the anaconda-hose to wherever I need it. Pics in this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53529

Bill Huber
06-09-2007, 6:54 PM
My vac and seperator just hangout on the wall. I drag the anaconda-hose to wherever I need it. Pics in this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53529

This is what I am doing in my little shop, and I do mean little. I am just getting this all set up now, I just added the low bench for the sander and router.
The Cyclone will be on a low shelf when I am done. My main bench in just out of site on the left and the table saw is just out of site on the right so you can see it is small.

I know this would not work for a large shop or for someone that makes a living at it but for me and maybe some others it will do just fine.

I have a gate for the Drill press, sander, and 2 for the router table. Then the pipe make a corner and I have a gate for the table saw. The gates at each end will also be used for general clean up with the anaconda-hose.

Maury Morneault
06-09-2007, 7:36 PM
I use a shop-vac with a separator and have no problems collecting chips from any of my tools. I also have adapters on all my tools so I just drag the 2-1/2" hose from tool to tool when needed. I works for me.

My separator has the Veritas Cyclone (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30282&cat=1,42401&ap=1) lid which I think performs much better than any others I've used. I also have a HEPA filter in the vacuum. On average, I empty my trash can 5-6 times before I have to worry about emptying the shop-vac.

Maury

Randal Stevenson
06-10-2007, 9:48 AM
One advantadge of the shop vac kit. If your shop, like mine, does more then just woodworking, then it is great to have the floor sweep hooked up to it, instead of the dust collector. Better to both have screws and such go through it, as well as finding one that wasn't supposed to, rather then the dust collector.

Randy Klein
06-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Maury, what tools have you used the cyclone lid on? Jointers and planers? I would be interested in hearing how it handles those.