PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw blade storage

Chris Holder
06-09-2007, 1:05 PM
I thought I would start this thread to hear from everyone on projects or techniques you use to store your table saw blades when not in use. Anyone have plans? I am sick of hanging them on the wall to collect dust and rust.

suzan odom
06-09-2007, 1:22 PM
I put them on a peg on the wall. Its a workshop, so dust is expected. As far as rust, I dont have the problem in my area I guess.

Bill Wyko
06-09-2007, 1:25 PM
They go in a drawer in my tool box. I would like to create a sharp and not sharp bin of some sort. So if anyone has a set up like that I'd like pics please.

Jim Becker
06-09-2007, 2:16 PM
I have a plastic blade keeper that Forrest gave me with my DadoKing...it's great since I have very limited wall space for storage.

Bartee Lamar
06-09-2007, 3:28 PM
This is part of my Table saw base unit.

I designed the drawers specifically to fit 10" TS blades. I built a simple insert to hold the blades. Nothing fancy, but it really works well.

Here is a link (http://picasaweb.google.com/bartee/TableSawBaseJan2005)to the Table Saw base.

The other drawer in the base holds my dado blade. This is really helpful when you are loading up the dado and trying to find the right size inside blades.

Chuck Lenz
06-09-2007, 4:56 PM
I made a cabinet several years ago from a article in Shop Notes. Each blade has a drawer. Works excellant for me. Volume 4, Issue 23.

Greg Funk
06-09-2007, 5:12 PM
I made this for general storage under the tablesaw extension. It is a mix of shelves for sawblades and general storage.

Greg

glenn bradley
06-09-2007, 5:16 PM
You can see mne and others in this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43462

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2007, 6:41 PM
I put a 1-1/2" drywall screw on the wall and hang them all there. Nice, free, and out of the way. ;)

Clint Winterhalter
06-09-2007, 11:40 PM
For the last 12 years my blades have lived on a short peg hook above the bench in my garage. Never any rust.. Occasionally a pain if I need the first blade on the hook.. Never bothered me enough to change it.....

"Jason Belous"
06-10-2007, 12:01 AM
I made a cabinet out of 1/2 " oak ply 36" tall 12 1/2" deep x 12 1/2" wide and dado'd 1/2" shelves every 4" and store the blades in some sort of baking sheets from the wifes shop(kitchen). This way the shelves easily pull out and the blades are easily approached. Then hung the cabinet on the wall next to the table saw. Also made one of same design for the 10" blades.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I built boxes from plywood with routered out receivers for them and a bolt through the center. Keeps 'em clean and ding free.

The Felder Dado and the Felder Scoring cutter set were a bit of a challenge cause ya got drivers, shims and bolts and wrenches but I got 'em all boxed up.

I started this when I got the Felder Dado and couldn't figure out how to store it. Yah for $400.00+ they didn't give you a storage case. So I built one. Then ?I? did the same for the Scoring unit. cause that's rarely actually on the saw. and then I got to thinking about sharpening and shipping and decided that wood cases would be the cat's meow for protecting blades when going to and from the grinder. More $$ to ship but when the carrier drop kicks the thing 20 feet I don't have to get a new blade.

All this of course means I need space to store them cause it's surely not a space conscious way to go. So I went overhead and just have to get up on my tippy toes.

Byron Trantham
06-10-2007, 12:16 PM
My Dato King is stored in a plastic holder supplied by the mfr. The rest of my blades are stored on a peg board. Works for me.:p

Rick Levine
06-10-2007, 11:10 PM
I thought about building a cabinet for my blades but abandoned the idea because of time constraints. I ended up drilling some holes ( not all the way through) at a slight angle in some 3/4 ply added some glue and a screw from the back side for extra security and mounting it on the wall. I cut some disks out of cardboard as spacers and to prevent the blades from touching.

Ron Hedrick
06-11-2007, 7:58 AM
You guys are absolutely amazing. I look at what so many of you do and I am totally amazed at how good you are. Greg and Barteethat is beautiful work. Geez, I am trying so hard to be able to do that well.