PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Spiral Head

Grant Lasson
06-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm looking for an update on the quality of the Grizzly spiral head. There have been a lot of comments about the Byrd and I think I understand the issues. I also understand the differences between the two style cutting heads. I really want to know more about the Grizzly. Specifically, (1) does it scallop longitudinally? If so, how deep?; (2) Relative to a benchtop universal planer, how noisy is it? (I just hate noisy tools.); (3) Any issues with the carbide inserts splitting? Of course, I'm interested in any other issues that owners might want to identify. I've only been able to locate Shiraz' posts about the head. I respect his experience and opinions. Can any other owners or operators help me?

J.R. Rutter
06-09-2007, 2:53 PM
I've not used them, but the wood I've seen that has been through a Grizzly spiral head planer looked great, no scallops. No comparison to a benchtop planer in terms of noise!

Mark Rios
06-09-2007, 4:29 PM
I've got a sporal on my G0593. I love it. I bought it so that I wouldn't have to adjust knives but the finish it leaves is great.

hth

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-09-2007, 4:40 PM
I put a Byrd Shelix on my General 8" jointer a week or so ago, all I can say is wow!

Not all helicals are created equally. The Shelix has the carbides also off set for a shearing cut, not like some that I have seen with the carbides square to the feed of the wood.

This is the Byrd Shelix in my jointer

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_8722.jpg

This is what the others look like

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_5301.jpg

Kim Spence
06-09-2007, 7:30 PM
I have the Grizz carbide head in my G0593 as well, I like it quite well.

Answers to your questions...

1. No scalloping with this head as the cutters are square, not radiused like the Byrd. Some very minor ridges lengthwise, but no scalloping, and nothing that wouldn't go away with your regular sanding schedule.

2. MUCH MUCH quieter than a benchtop planer. I had a 6" straight blade jointer before and I'd estimate this one to be 30% quieter, but thats just a guess.

3. I haven't had any issues with the carbide cutters splitting. I've had mine just over a year, have face jointed probably between 200 and 400 bf of cherry, hard maple, bubinga, cedar and oak and have yet to rotate the cutters and quality of cut is still good.

I like the Grizz cutter so much I'm considering adding one to my planer.

Hope this helps.