PDA

View Full Version : Alan Lacer @ Arrowmont

Chris Barton
06-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Here are some pictures from my week at Arrowmont with Alan Lacer and Jim Bliss. This was my first time at Arrowmont and it was a great experience. The faculty and staff are top notch and the facilities are second to none. The week-long programs begin on Sunday evenings now and last until 5PM on the following Friday (official end but, you can turn until 12 PM if you so chose). The typical day at Arrowmont begins at 8 AM with breakfast and studio classes begin at 9 AM and last till 5 PM but, most students and faculty come back after dinner and will work until everything is locked up at midnight every night. In one of the pictures you can see the newer larger Alan Lacer Signature Skew prototype...

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Chris.........I'm genuinely jealous! Maybe next year.......

Tom Sherman
06-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Congratulations Chris, time thoroughly enjoyed I'm sure.

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2007, 1:04 PM
Very impressive Chris! I'm sure you learned a lot and had fun at the same time - what more could you ask for? Thanks for posting the pics!

Martin Braun
06-09-2007, 3:14 PM
One question - on the whiteboard there is something about earning a tattoo? Was that left over from a discussion of lathe injuries?

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-09-2007, 4:22 PM
Hey Chris,

I am so happy that you shared this with us. I have been an Alan Lacer fan for some tine now and it was my pleasure to meet him for the first time last year at the AAW symposium in Louisville. He was very genuine and willing to share and answer all my questions.

Arrowmont is on my list of Places to go. My good friend Jennifer Shirley took a class there a number of years ago and she still speaks of it to this day. Alan is a very skilled skew teacher, I have his mid Sized beast, not the Mondo one you saw...LOL

I know Alan also teaches at Marc Adams, so I think there are more options than Arrowmont but nothing would beat it's enviornment.

So, what did you learn, what did you make?

His DVD on the skew helped me to get over the hump if you like on using the skew, it's my favorite turning tool, I have 6 now.....what should I do with all these gouges and hollowing thingies I have..??

Tell us more, and pictures please!:cool: