PDA

View Full Version : Orange and Grapefruit citrus wood--useful?

Dave MacArthur
06-09-2007, 4:20 AM
I did a search for "citrus" etc. but didn't find any posts on these woods on the forums. Not sure if this is the better forum or the "design" one. In any case, there is a large tract of old grapefruit trees and orange trees near me, that is being cleared for a new development. Most of the trees are "standing dead", but this is Phoenix and they don't look to have any rot. They are just bulldozing it up and carting it off and dumping it.

I am wondering if anyone has used these woods, or heard about using them, and if they are useful?

I have been looking at 17"-18" bandsaws, and every day I find myself looking at every tree on the way to work and wondering what could be resawn out of it... I hate to see these trees, which look so beautiful growing, go unused.

Mike Cutler
06-09-2007, 7:03 AM
Dave.

I've seen Citrus woods, and fruit tree woods used in more than a few applications. Small boxes, turning, accent pieces.
Ordinarily the trees don't grow big enough to yield "lumber" per se, and the wood that is harvested is narrow once it is dimensioned, but it can be very pretty.

Throw a resaw blade on that bandsaw and go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.