PDA

View Full Version : Another Festool Adapter

Byron Trantham
01-09-2004, 1:40 PM
I took the orignal filter cartridge from the ROS and modified it to accept the Festool hose. I removed the lid and paper filter, created a wood block that inserted into the bottom of the original filter box.
The result is a connection that is sturdy and functional. I'm working on the cricular saw now. It's going to be a lot more difficult.

Dave Avery
01-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Pretty cool Byron. You know, you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and just bought the Festool sander and plunge saw now. You're going to get them eventually ;).

Seriously - nice work. Dave.

Byron Trantham
01-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Pretty cool Byron. You know, you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and just bought the Festool sander and plunge saw now. You're going to get them eventually ;).

Seriously - nice work. Dave.

Dave, I know this was said with a little tongue-in-cheek but the truth is I have already thought about it. The plunge saw holds my interest. I probably won't do it because I don't want to get into another area of support equipment that is in metric. My Forrest blade for my current circular saw won't fit. The sanders use a hole pattern that can't be purchased anywhere except from Festool. Ya Dee, Ya Dee, Yada. :p

I am working on a similar adapter for my circular saw. It's a bit more complex but I think I have the general approach figured out. There will be several prototypes before its over but I think I can do it.

Christian Aufreiter
01-10-2004, 7:12 PM
Dave, I know this was said with a little tongue-in-cheek but the truth is I have already thought about it. The plunge saw holds my interest. I probably won't do it because I don't want to get into another area of support equipment that is in metric. My Forrest blade for my current circular saw won't fit. The sanders use a hole pattern that can't be purchased anywhere except from Festool. Ya Dee, Ya Dee, Yada. :p

I am working on a similar adapter for my circular saw. It's a bit more complex but I think I have the general approach figured out. There will be several prototypes before its over but I think I can do it.

The Festool saw comes with an excellent 48 teeth blade so you won't need the Forrest IMO. It's correct, the Festool sandpaper has a small hole in the middle. This hole is used for the Jetstream system which makes dust collection more efficient. This means the paper lasts longer. As far as I know, sandpaper for Festool is not exclusively available from Festool. Klingspor sells it, too.

Regards,

Christian

Frank Pellow
03-10-2004, 8:23 PM
Byron you stated above when talking about the Festool circular saw that: "The plunge saw holds my interest. I probably won't do it because I don't want to get into another area of support equipment that is in metric"

I am of exactly the oposite opinion. I have found that it is much easier to work in metric (with whole numbers) than in imperial (with fractions), so a big plus of the Festool line of tools is that their scales are in metric.

Chris Padilla
03-10-2004, 9:08 PM
Frank,

I think the US is far behind when it comes to English vs. Metric. Metric is tons easier and make far better sense but somehow the US is stodgy in this matter. I got nothing but metric in engineering classes and I married a European woman so I have that aspect of it but I still can't buy 19 mm (~3/4") plywood thickness too easily! :)

John Miliunas
03-10-2004, 10:56 PM
but I still can't buy 19 mm (~3/4") plywood thickness too easily! :)

Chris, give it some time. Oh, I don't mean the manufacturers spec'ing the plywood in metric, but they keep downsizing the thickness, that it's bound to hit an exact metric thickness at some point! :D :cool:

Bill Grumbine
03-11-2004, 9:50 AM
I don't understand parts of this conversation guys. I have a Festool circular saw, and it might be metric, but everything I have cut with it I have measured in inches, and it cuts just fine. ;) I get glue joint quality off the blade just like I do off my Forrest blade. So I can't go into Home Depot and pick up a spare blade for it. Why would I want to?

As far as the sandpaper goes, so what if Festool is the only place to buy the paper (Chris is right, Klingspor sells it also). I seriously doubt they are going to snooker us all into buying sanders and then jack the price of paper up through the roof.

As I get older, and more set in my ways, I really enjoy not having to futz around with going to dealer to dealer, catalog to catalog, to see if I can get a little off the price on something. Yeah, I might be able to find it cheaper, but is it really? In the first place I have used up my own time, which is irreplaceable. In the second, the lower priced product is not always the best one to use. I have used some cheapies and I have used expensive pieces, and if the piece that costs twice as much lasts three times as long, which is the cheaper to use?

Just a few thoughts.

Bill

John Miliunas
03-11-2004, 9:57 AM
I don't understand parts of this conversation guys. I have a Festool circular saw, and it might be metric, but everything I have cut with it I have measured in inches, and it cuts just fine. ;) I get glue joint quality off the blade just like I do off my Forrest blade. So I can't go into Home Depot and pick up a spare blade for it. Why would I want to?

As far as the sandpaper goes, so what if Festool is the only place to buy the paper (Chris is right, Klingspor sells it also). I seriously doubt they are going to snooker us all into buying sanders and then jack the price of paper up through the roof.

As I get older, and more set in my ways, I really enjoy not having to futz around with going to dealer to dealer, catalog to catalog, to see if I can get a little off the price on something. Yeah, I might be able to find it cheaper, but is it really? In the first place I have used up my own time, which is irreplaceable. In the second, the lower priced product is not always the best one to use. I have used some cheapies and I have used expensive pieces, and if the piece that costs twice as much lasts three times as long, which is the cheaper to use?

Just a few thoughts.

Bill

As is your typical style, very nourishing food for thought. Amen! :cool:

Tyler Howell
03-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Bryon. I took a stroll through your shop(I wiped my feet first;)) on the web and was wondering about some of your adapters. The designs are functional but do some of them restrict the flow of air?
Always looking for new Ideas!
Thanks for sharing

Byron Trantham
03-11-2004, 3:13 PM
Bryon. I took a stroll through your shop(I wiped my feet first;)) on the web and was wondering about some of your adapters. The designs are functional but do some of them restrict the flow of air?
Always looking for new Ideas!
Thanks for sharing

Tyler, which adapters were you wondering about?

Tyler Howell
03-11-2004, 7:00 PM
Tyler, which adapters were you wondering about?

Main concern was the spindle sander and the belt sanded.

Does it "choke the slot" (sailing term).:confused:
Does the Festool keep up the the dust made?

TX

Tyler

Byron Trantham
03-11-2004, 8:06 PM
Main concern was the spindle sander and the belt sanded.

Does it "choke the slot" (sailing term).:confused:
Does the Festool keep up the the dust made?

TX

Tyler

ABSOLUTELY - ON BOTH UNITS! Tyler the tool that really makes a lot of dust is my circular saw. It puts the stuff everywhere and the adapter and vac keep up with it very well.