PDA

View Full Version : How would you price....

Leigh Costello
06-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I have a customer that wants a bunch of glasses marked with blue and red in the design, commemorating the 50th year in business. The business name would be in blue, and the 50th emblem and years in business would be red.

I plan to use cermark. Would you charge more for the 2 colors or the same as for one? The total number of glasses will be near 100 or so. Or, would there be a better way to mark these glasses using color? Thanks for your help.

Wil Lambert
06-09-2007, 6:47 AM
I would not use Cermark for this project. Most of the time I have used the color for glasses the results have been spotty. Maybe you can perfect the process if you have time and some scrap to play with. If the want color why not try Rub N Buff on them. The colors will be subtle but will look nice. The best way to do this would be screen printing.

Good luck,
Wil

Leigh Costello
06-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Okay, I met with the customer again today. Insists price is not an issue. Does anyone have any hints about cermark and the consistancy of results?

The glasses are for a local tavern celebrating 50 years and their supplier of PBR is providing the glasses. The colors red and blue must match the PBR colors. If I get some red and blue cermark, can I adjust the hue by mixing cermark pigment?

How do I go about getting the cermark in dry form or is it even available?

In this case, I would be using a foam brush to apply the cermark. Is this the best way to apply since I am using 2 colors? I do have the preval sprayer and am familiear with how they work.

Or should I sub out to a screener and just be the middle man (woman)?

Anyone know of any screening companies in the St. Louis area that could do this quickly? I could use the yellow pages, but I prefer to hear recommendations from this forum first.

And lastly, if this opportunity were to arise for you, would you learn about and acquire screening equipment?

Sorry for all of the questions, but this is a large order for me and the potential for many more jobs of this type.

Thank you for all of your help, I really really appreciate it.

Gary Hair
06-10-2007, 12:15 AM
You can mix cermark colors but I wouldn't count on being able to match a specific color, too many variables to consider. And, each time you make a change in color you have to laser a new piece to check the results.

Your thought to screen print is probably the best idea, be the middle man and make a little bit with virtually no liability.

Unless you are able to get several thousand dollars for this job purchasing screen printing equipment won't really be possible. Besides the equipment, you would have a learning curve - better off subbing it out.

Gary

Bill Cunningham
06-10-2007, 12:17 AM
I've never tried coloured cermark before. but mixing to obtain a colour may be quite a challenge.. Cermark is a ceramic glaze of sorts, and with any ceramic glaze the colour you see before heating, is usually never the colour your going to get when done.. Example, cermark goes on in a tan colour, and becomes black when lasered..
wil is right, the 'best' way to do this, and get accurate colour is screen printing..