PDA

View Full Version : Diving in

Sam Starr
06-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Ok folks Im coming in with both feet. Next week Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale and this is a list of what I plan on buying and prices. If any one sees I am making a bad choice or spending too much for an item please let me know. Also if I am forgetting any thing, or if anyone has any suggestion I would be very greatful.

Jet 1220 $329
Stand $149
Vega duplicator 24 inch $354
a set of sorby tools 6 $249:confused:

Thanks everyone

Patrick Taylor
06-08-2007, 11:22 PM
I have the jet 1014 with the stand and the sorby set of 6 tools. I got them 6 months ago and have been very happy.

Joel Sauder
06-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Anyone know if that 10% off sale is at all Woodcraft stores? When does it start and end. This could be tough on the pocket book!

Sam Starr
06-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Joel not sure if this is at all woodcraft stores or not but I do know if you are spending more than a few dollars you can ask the owner or Mgr.for a discount. I have done this in this past and would do so this time if they were not having a sale.

Gordon Seto
06-09-2007, 2:11 AM
Do you really need a duplicator?
We would be glad to help you to spend your money, but we need to know what you are interested in making.

Your list is hardly complete.

The best value is finding an American Association of Woodturners local Chapter and join.
http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List

Gordon

Bill Blasic
06-09-2007, 8:29 AM
When I made my first turning purchases the stuff I bought was very comparable to what you are contemplating. Now that I've been at it awhile and knowing what I now know now, my list to start today is this:
A 16" lathe (Nova 16-44 perhaps, a lathe in the $1000 area)
A chuck
A 3/4 Roughing gouge
A parting tool
A 1/2" bowl gouge
A 3/8" 0r 1/2" spindle gouge
And that is to start as we all know it is a slippery slope this turning stuff and there is always a new tool out there that you will need!

Curt Fuller
06-09-2007, 8:53 AM
You didn't mention what kind of turning you're going to be doing, but unless you're going to be doing a lot of production spindle work for building furniture or something that Vega duplicator is a pretty pricey gadget. If you want to do other types of turning you might want to sink that money into a good chuck (oneway or nova) and maybe a pen turning mandrel setup. Have fun though.

Bill O'Conner
06-09-2007, 8:55 AM
gonna to need a way to sharpen your tools. Not gonna be any fun sittting looking at pieces of wood with no way to mount them on the Lathe

so I would add a sharpen system and some sort of chuck

Just my $.02

Bill

Ernie Nyvall
06-09-2007, 8:57 AM
I ask the same question as Gordon about the duplicator. I don't know of one that will take something down to smooth except for the industrial kind, so there is still quite a bit of work to do once the spindles are rough cut. I haven't seen them all though. That much money could set you up with a nice sharpening system, and in my opinion should come with the tools.

Jim Becker
06-09-2007, 9:20 AM
Welcome to SMC!

I wouldn't suggest you buy the duplicator, either...they are fine for production shops, but don't really add much to the general turner's capability. In fact, they may result in more work. You will be surprised at how accurate you can be in turning spindles by hand when you need to make matches...and you always make two or three extra to be able to insure that, too.

In addition to your list, you need safety gear (safety glasses AND full face shield) and a way to sharpen your tools...which you'll need to do even before you try to use them out of the box as well as every few minutes while turning.

Matt Haus
06-09-2007, 9:43 AM
Just my opinion. I ALWAYS get better deals on my large purchases when I look elsewhere. Woodcrafts 10 percent off is not really a great bargin when you put tax in the equation. I have been able to get every large piece of equipment from either Amazon or Osolnik Machine and supply well under what I would ever pay at woodcraft, got it tax free, and free shipping on alot of the stuff. So, just a consideration. I have nothing against woodcraft, they have great pen kits.;)

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2007, 9:50 AM
Sam - Welcome to the Creek!

I get the impression from your list that you are planning on doing mostly spindle work or at least starting out there. If that's the case I would suggest the 8 piece set of HSS turning tools from Harbor Freight instead of the Sorby set. Seems like the HF set runs around $38 and are great to start out with while learning how to sharpen - no sense grinding away on expensive tools!

Sam Starr
06-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks alot folks, sorry for the missing information. I plan on making pens on a production basis. I do have a Tormac wet grinder. My first order will be 750 to 1000 pens. Is the duplicator still a bad idea?

Brodie Brickey
06-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Sam,

If you're doing pens, I'd get the basic turning set from Harbor Freight- $37
They're high speed steel. Most turners don't really use that Sorby or HF set because other than the spindle gouge and roughing gouge, there isn't much there to use for bowl related work. The set comes with a skew which you'll need. For pen turning you won't use much else.

Then get yourself a couple PINNACLE skews in the narrorer sizes. - $45-50 each (Woodcraft). This is WoodCrafts less expensive brand but very good quality.

Get the slow speed grinder from WoodCraft - $100

Basic Wolverine for the skew sharpening from WoodCraft - ~70

If you've already got a work bench of the right height, you can do away with the stand for the Jet.

Also get yourself an anti-fatigue mat.

I'm not sure about the duplicator, but you're also mass producing. You might get it, and take it back within 30 days. I personally don't think I'd buy it. Part of the choice here, depends on how fast you are as a turner.

Do you have your sandpaper grits throught 150/180 - 1500?
Do you already have a drill press? If not check out the Rikon benchtop at WoodCraft.

You're going to want a couple pen mandrels (probably 3-4).

Got CA Glue? Check out http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html I'm not affiliated, just a very happy customer. Mannie has very reasonable prices for glue.

Make sure you can get extra tubes (not from the pen supplier) locally. You may have to cut to size.

Do you have all the boxes and what not to keep all the pen stuff organized?

Sorry to be so nosy with the questions, but this would be challenge for anyone. Other than that, good luck. Heavy production is a serious endeavor.

Ernie Nyvall
06-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks alot folks, sorry for the missing information. I plan on making pens on a production basis. I do have a Tormac wet grinder. My first order will be 750 to 1000 pens. Is the duplicator still a bad idea?

I've done only a few pens, but found the time consuming part was preparing the blanks... drilling, gluing, and squaring. If you could duplicate that, it'd be great. Again though, if the duplicator you are planning on buying will cut the pens "skew smooth", it'd be a good deal to get, but if you have to go back with the skew or a heavy sandpaper, then I'm not sure it would be any faster or maybe not as fast. I'd sure ask someone who has used a duplicator for this purpose. SMC also has a Freedom Pen Forum, and maybe some of those guys know more about it.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I've only turned 30-40 pens but for the turning part, the only tool I've used is a skew......my regular skew.....

The time consuming part as told by Ernie is the blank preparation. Turning time is really miniscual in comparison..

Bernie Weishapl
06-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Welcome to SMC. You have gotten lots of good advice so won't go there but I have some very big reservations about using a duplicator to do pens. With all the differnet bushings and sizes I think that would be hard to do. IMHO I don't think you need a duplicator.

Rich Souchek
06-09-2007, 1:19 PM
My 2 cents are:
1. Skip the sorby tools and buy the Harbor Freight HSS ones for $40 or so. Know that you will add another tool or so as you need them.
2. I have a Tormack grinder also and it IS NOT what you want for turning tools used on production turning. Get a 8" medium speed dry grinder, the
wolverine setup, etc.
3. Duplicator? For pens, you got to be kidding.
4. Some kind of dust collection system to pick up the sanding dust. For pen production, this will be important.
5. Spend some money on getting a GOOD working enviroment. You will need it. The anti-fatigue mats are great. Extra lights. Dust collection is a must. Set up the sharpening system only 1 or 2 steps away from the lathe. A workbench right behind the lathe with a solid mounted drill press, buffing wheels, and pen press. Plenty of stroage areas for the small little things needed and separate containers for each different pen. This would also be the pen assembly area. Sound/Tv system. Telephone to keep up with the world or call for help.
6. You will need plenty of expensive small stuff to do that many pens.
Pens, storage containers, CA glue in all kinds, BLO, paper towels, storage system for turning tools, thin parters, calipers, all the bushings, about 6 mandrels to start with, or some kind of collet system, sand paper of all grits, micro mech, polish compunds, buffing wheels.......
7. Need to build some parts holding jigs and stations. Whenever I build more than 3 pens at once, unless I have a jig with labeled stations or places to hold certain items, I end up pressing the wrong part into the wrong end of the wrong brass tube. One needs to develop a system and the jigs/stations to use for it.
8. Means to cut wood, store it, and get rid of scap.
9. Actually, to start a one person buisness without experence to do 1000 pens on a cheap budget seems a perfect perscription to make a person crazy. Might suggest a set of twenty 7mm slimline or streamline pens to let you find out what you really need.
Best of luck and keep us informed.
Rich S.

Barry Elder
06-09-2007, 1:51 PM
How about a little safety gear? Faceshield, and some kind of mask or respirator. After all, eyes and lungs are not that replaceable.

Jim Becker
06-09-2007, 2:09 PM
I don't believe that a duplicator is going to be all that advantageous for pens as the mounting of the blanks to the mandrel, etc., takes more time than you'll use to just turn the pen with a skew or gouge. The duplicator would add more setup time I suspect...

Ron Raymond
06-09-2007, 2:27 PM
Lots of good advice already from people far more experienced than I. Do you already have some sort of shop setup...workbench, organization, drillpress, good saw for pan blanks, etc? I drill my blanks with a 4-jaw chuck and jacobs chuck on the lathe, but I sure wouldn't want to use that arrangement for high production levels. Wouldn't want to use a small benchtop drill press, either.

The main thing I'd like to know is how you got an order for 1000 pens when you don't even have a lathe!!!:eek: Major congratulations on your marketing abilities!

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2007, 4:34 PM
There ya go Sam!!!! Congrats and welcome to the vortex. ;)

TYLER WOOD
06-09-2007, 5:48 PM
ohhhhhh we get to spend someone elses money for a change!

Lathe.... yes
stand.... if you can't build your own (storage underneath is nice!!!)
duplicator.... NO!!!!!
Sorby tools.... NO!!!

As stated in earlier posts, get the HF set for $50. I have it and it works well. I have turned bowls, cups, goblets, pens, baby rattles, and others. No problems. You have a sharpening system, but it is slow for production work, I would get the slow speed grinder with the sharpening system with the skew attachments. Safety gear is a must, no face shield=unhappy nose when something unchucks. You will need a pen mandrel, bushings, blanks, kits, sandpaper, finishes, pen press, drill press (or suitable options)....... Lots of other things that saving the money on the duplicator and the Sorby tools will help you be able to afford.

Welcome to the creek and the vortex of bliss!!! Kiss you free time and money goodby! Oh and the wife and kids, they'll only see you if they come in the shop.