PDA

View Full Version : nice wood on hand what to do...

mike roe
06-08-2007, 9:37 PM
OK everyone a challenge... ive got some really nice purpleheart, wenge, redheart, bloodwood and rosewood to play with. All 4/4 to 8/4, about a board foor of each... what i dont have is ideas. I was thinking of a really adventerous butcher block style cutting board for (part of) a friends wedding gift or maybe the exotics would make a very unsual accent table top. i cant decide. thanks for any ideas!

Brian Clevenger
06-09-2007, 3:21 AM
Have you a lathe?

If not, now sounds like the ideal time for at least a mini.

Cutting boards are nice, but you're talking about turning stock there.

scott spencer
06-09-2007, 7:02 AM
I'd be inclined to slice at least some of it into veneer to stretch it's use, but be sure of your direction with it before you do any cutting. It'd probably make some cool pencils too.

John Buzzurro
06-09-2007, 9:31 AM
Maybe a small box?

Brian Kent
06-09-2007, 10:39 AM
You can make a set of tool handles (for chisels, saws, files, knives…) that you can take pleasure in every time you use them.

How about a jewelry box with a neutral wood like maple or walnut surrounding contrasting panels in each side?

Gary Keedwell
06-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm in the process of making marking knives using yellowheart sandwiched with bloodwood. What a great combo. You could use maple instead of yellowheart.
Have fun!!!
Gary K.:D

Brian Kent
06-09-2007, 1:19 PM
Gary, could you post a picture, even if (especially if!) it isn't finished yet. I used a little bloodwood recently to make a plane and mallet and I love working with it. Easy to work and polished well too. I would like to see what the contrast is like.

mike roe
06-09-2007, 1:40 PM
in the readers gallery of the Feb 2007 FWW there is a table (bottom of page) on page 87 that i think would look awesome with some contrasting, but complementing, colors.

Bill Wyko
06-09-2007, 1:45 PM
Segmented woodturning:D That's what I do with all my small stuff. Good luck with what you do. Post pics too please.