PDA

View Full Version : Router Table mounted on a Sawstop

Gary Tenney
06-08-2007, 7:23 PM
Is there a cast iron extension router table manufactured for the SS? I am interested in something like the Bench Dog model, but the SS table is too deep for that one. If no Cast Iron model available, has anyone made any modifications of this sort? Thanks for any ideas that you folks may have!

nick brigg
06-08-2007, 7:44 PM
i think the point is to save room JK, but i could be wrong...

i dont believe there is one out there, i've been thinking of turning the extension table into a router table, but the cab opening under there gets in the way arg. personally i never liked the idea of having the router mounted to the left wing of the saw, but thats just me.

Andy Pratt
06-25-2007, 1:04 PM
I couldn't find anything that would fit online so I made one myself and it worked out fairly well. Reading postings I was worried about sagging so I made it out of three layers of 3/4" MDF. I screwed them together, then cut them to size as one on the TS, drilled in holes aligned with the tapered holes in the fence guide rails and purchased screws (and inserts) identical to the ones that come with the fence at a specialty fastener store. I fastened in only on the fence rails (not to the TS top) and wedged a few removable 2X4's under it for added support and it's rock solid and level with the TS. I had intended to laminate the top but messed up on the dimensions, luckily it was perfectly level with the TS top without the laminate attached. 5 coats of watco on all sides and a woodpecker quick lift completed the package.

Edit: Just realized you wanted something on the left side of the TS, can't help you there.

Pat Germain
06-25-2007, 6:11 PM
^^ What about mounting a router table on the right side of the saw? I was going to do this on my old, Craftsman contractor saw, but the guys at Rockler advised against it. They said every customer who buys a router extention for their TS is disappointed with it. They told me this when they could have easily sold me a router extension table. Based on their advice, I didn't buy it.

So what's the scoop?

glenn bradley
06-25-2007, 6:43 PM
I have run an extension wing router table for quite awhile and wouldn't change. I like it so much that when I built my new router cabinet, it supports the table which is still attached to the TS as a wing. All is well with the world from my point of view:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54205&d=1167872143

Greater table surface for both tools, centralized dust collection, common direction of feed; what's not to like? I could see this maybe not working for folks that run the positioner systems that require a lot of extra table depth. Perhaps they could chime in?