PDA

View Full Version : Downingtown PA Wood Craft Store

Jeff Wright
06-08-2007, 6:07 PM
I am visiting my old home state of Pennsylvania and stopped in at the Wood Craft store in a small town just west of Philadelphia named Downingtown. It is one of the most organized and well-stocked Wood Craft stores I've seen . . . great selection of hardwoods, hardware, and tools. It's nice to see such dedication to running a great business!

Steve Hilbert
06-08-2007, 6:13 PM
I would second that. Everyone I have talked to there is very helpful, intelligent and very happy to offer advice.

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 6:56 PM
Yes, Tom, the owner is a nice fellow and is very organized. He also owns the franchise in the Wilmington DE area.

Rob Bodenschatz
06-08-2007, 7:54 PM
It's actually the only one I've ever been in. They're not all like that?

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 9:21 PM
It's actually the only one I've ever been in. They're not all like that?

Nope! At this point in time, almost all Woodcraft stores are independent franchises and as such, they can have a lot of variability in how well organized and how well run they are.

Pat Germain
06-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm glad you guys have a good Woodcraft out there. I visited my local Woodcraft store when I first moved to Colorado six years ago. The clown working there outright insulted me when I told him I have a Craftsman table saw.

I didn't go back until a few months ago. I mentioned to the staff the experience I had six years ago and they knew exactly who I was talking about. Apparently, I wasn't the only person that clown insulted and he eventually got canned.

The staff at my local Woodcraft are now very helpful and friendly. They offer help, but don't push anything. The store is pretty well organized. I can't help but notice the prices are a bit steep. I'm willing to pay a little more on accessories to support my local merchant, but that's tough on big-ticket items. I talked to them at length about buying an 8" jointer, but they couldn't come close to the price of the Shop Fox I ordered.

I'll continue to buy accessories, and probably some hardwoods, at my local Woodcraft. Those things probably have a pretty good markup and help their bottom line.

Quesne Ouaques
06-09-2007, 1:24 AM
Absolutely. The Downingtown store is a great store. I have had only good experience with the staff. Very knowledgeable and always helpful.

The owner, Tom, is also quick to make a deal. He has saved me a lot of money over the years, and does it with a smile. I'll always go back there.

John Renzetti
06-09-2007, 8:06 AM
I've been to the one in New Castle DE a few times. My son took a turning class there. Really nice and helpful folks.
I've been to others around the country that weren't as good. All of them will pretty much have the same selection but its the owner of the franchise and the people that work there, that make the difference.

Jeff, How long are you in town. this is a busy weekend for me but I'm off Monday and Tuesday.
take care,
John

Michael Pilla
06-09-2007, 9:04 AM
I have the good fortune of living mid-way between the Downingtown and New Castle stores. I've never been to the Downingtown store because DE is slightly easier to get to in terms of traffic patterns. Oh, and DE is a tax-free state :D I should probably check out the Downingtown store at some point.

Michael