PDA

View Full Version : Water Based or Standard Laquer

Paul Zonneveld
06-08-2007, 5:40 PM
I am trying to decide how to finish some projects and need to know what kind of finish to use. Based on all my reading including some very informative books I have decided to go with a laquer finish. I am looking for some perspective of the pros and cons of each, water based or standard high voc based? would appreciate any input on this one. Is there a big difference between the two? I am just looking for a good clear finish that is pretty strong and wont impart any color to the two finishes (gel stains).

Thanks

Dennis Peacock
06-08-2007, 9:33 PM
Paul,

According to Jim Becker, Target Coatings has a WB Lacquer that is an excellent product for a lacquer finish. You may PM Jim and ask him any particulars.

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 9:50 PM
Target's USL is a fine product. But to be clear, it has many of the same properties as NC lacquer, including burn-in between applications, but it's an acrylic, not really "lacquer". That said, it's much safer to use, easy to apply and looks great. I'm sure that NC lacquer is wonderful stuff, but I don't have the right environment to spray it safely, so...I don't.

Al Navas
06-08-2007, 9:52 PM
Target Coatings' Ultima Spray Lacquer (USL) (http://www.targetcoatings.com/oxford-spray-lacquer.html) (acrylic spray) is what I use. Items finished with this have stood up very well. The page I linked above includes the application methods, preparation, etc.

Joe Chritz
06-09-2007, 9:15 AM
I sprayed 10-15 gallons of pre-cat during my house building project and it is easy to use, durable and flashes fast.

I have spray 15-20 gallons of USL. It is easy to use,durable and flashes almost as fast. With the added benefit of being much less dangerous to use.

I am sure there are other advantages to solvent based finishes but nothing I have been able to find.

Joe

Ed Lang
06-10-2007, 9:19 AM
I have used one gallon of Target USL based on comments from this forum. I like it. I am looking for a quick, easy and nice finish for BB before I laser cut it. I can get the minwax poly-crylic (sp) locally at Lowes. Is this stuff any good? Has anyone sprayed it? I have the PorterCable HVLP gun with the plastic material cup so that is what I will spray with. I also talked to another shop who dips the 12"X24" BB blanks into a tank of lacquer then hangs up to dry. Lacquer is too much in the way of fumes for me.

Tim Sproul
06-10-2007, 9:31 AM
....water based or standard high voc based...........I am just looking for a good clear finish that is pretty strong and wont impart any color to the two finishes (gel stains)

For that criteria, you want a water borne. Waterbornes can be 'water clear' but most solvent based finishes impart at least some yellow (straw) tone. Not all waterbornes cure to water clear...some will yellow, especially after prolonged sun exposure. IIRC, USL will turn a bit of a straw color over time. Not as much as nitrocellulose lacquer, though.

Joe Chritz
06-10-2007, 9:33 AM
I haven't used the polycrylic but a friend uses it a lot. I buy USL in 5 gallons so the price isn't much different between them for me.

I know he has used the rattle cans and got decent results. Usually he sprays the gallon through a CH mini turbine.

Not sure on the prices but a supplier I used to get some MDF core plywood offers 1/4" prefinished plywood at a decent cost.

On an unrelated note, what are you laser cutting the BB for? Always looking for a new project. I recently started engraving on MDF core plywood and it is not bad at all.

Joe

Paul Zonneveld
06-10-2007, 7:29 PM
Thanks for the resposes, I think for these projects I will try to spray the water based product. Where can I find the Target product you all mention here?

Jim Becker
06-10-2007, 9:01 PM
http://www.targetcoatings.com or http://www.homesteadfinishing.com

Paul Zonneveld
06-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Is this stuff available at any retailers or is it a web only product? If so are there any other water based Laq's available at a retailer that you would recommend?

Matt Meiser
06-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I've used the Minwax Polycrylic with good results for more utilitiarian projects like some display shelving in my home office and some work I did for the IT lab at my previous employer. I add about 6 drops of Transtint honey amber dye to a quart which makes it look like regular poly when dry. I've also used the USL which is great stuff too. The USL I ordered from Homestead while Polycrylic can be bought almost anywhere that has a paint department. Woodcraft or Homestead carry the dye. 1 bottle is a lifetime supply for even an eager hobbiest shop. With both, I like that I can take the gun to the sink and wash it with warm water and be done. Much easier than when I spray oil-based paints on metal projects.

jeremy levine
06-11-2007, 9:48 AM
Is this stuff available at any retailers or is it a web only product? If so are there any other water based Laq's available at a retailer that you would recommend? Deft makes a WB which I have seen in may large stores.