PDA

View Full Version : Well its a Start

Reg Mitchell
06-08-2007, 5:36 PM
Here is the first of a few cabinets I am makeing for the kitchen for a 1898 house. I won't be finishing them real soon because I will be takeing up the floor putting down subflooring and then doing the rest of the cabinets. I just wanted to see how the wood would look and it turned out nice IMHO
Reg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/cradle076.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/cradle077.jpg

Jay Keller
06-08-2007, 5:40 PM
1898 cabinets wouldnt have magnetic latches.

Reg Mitchell
06-08-2007, 5:42 PM
Nope and probley no plywood eighter.....
Reg

Rick Dohm
06-08-2007, 6:33 PM
Unless I was trying to match something existing, for my taste I would go conventional in joining the rails and stiles, though.

Bill Wyko
06-08-2007, 7:25 PM
Reg that's a fine looking cabinet. I built my kitchen with flush doors and to get even reveal takes quite a bit of effort. Good job.

Per Swenson
06-08-2007, 8:30 PM
Yes sir a start and a fine one at that.

Hey Reg, didja know the Chinese where making magnetic puzzle box's

in 1368? And European illusionists where using magnets from

1750 on. So......... Ahh you get the idea.

There's one in every bunch

Per

Gary Keedwell
06-08-2007, 8:35 PM
:rolleyes: Not defending anything but maybe he meant that magnets weren't widely used during that period. I said maybe...........:o

Gary K.

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 8:49 PM
Wow...those are going to be great, Reg!!! A lot of wonderful character in that material you're using for the face frames and doors.

Per Swenson
06-08-2007, 8:50 PM
Sorry Gary,

That ain't the point.

And neither are the Chinese.

Or the magnets.

The point, my friend, is Reg shared his joy and accomplishment

with us. You, me and everyone else who clicks the link.

We as civilized people should thank him for his courage , effort, and

craftsmanship. Give advice when asked.

Derision is never a proper response here, or anywhere for

that matter.

Respectfully.

Per

mike roe
06-08-2007, 8:56 PM
I agree with Per. Im gonna go find that little button that makes those people go away....

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 9:01 PM
Mike and Per...

This button is how you notify the moderators when you are concerned with a post. Let's not debate this publicly in threads as it would be a violation of the TOS to do so...thanks in advance for your cooperation and understanding.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Alan Tolchinsky
06-08-2007, 9:12 PM
:rolleyes: Not defending anything but maybe he meant that magnets weren't widely used during that period. I said maybe...........:o

Gary K.

Just read his other posts on this board for your answer.

Gary Keedwell
06-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Just read his other posts on this board for your answer.

:eek: Yea, I did a little catching up tonite. It is hard to defend the undefendable. :cool:

Gary K, Oh yea, Reg.....I really like the cabinet. :>)

Scott Thornton
06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Reg:

They look really good, I like the rails and stiles especially, what type of wood is that? Kind of has a distressed look.

Nice start...

James Manning
06-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey Reg,

I think you did a great job........Keep the pictures coming on that project, I love those old homes. They just don't build them like that anymore.

Randall Davis
06-08-2007, 11:48 PM

Gary K.

or maybe he was just being a smart ass!

Reg Mitchell
06-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Well thanks guys. I don't let things like magnets bother me I have much bigger sholders than that. :D
The wood is reclamed wormy chestnut from some older building. It is what they call shorts from 2ft to 4 ft long and just right for cabinet building. As expensive as that stuff is i got the shorts at a reasonable price.
I'll take some pics of the kitchen befor I start and some after shots when the work is done so you can see the differance.
Reg
No need to worry about the other guy with 59 posts I wouldn't think too highly of his recomendations anyway

Rob Will
06-09-2007, 1:04 AM
Nice work Reg!
This got me to wondering.....where have I seen 1898 cabinets before (?).
Your piece would fit right in around here. This is the only furniture that survived the fire in my great-grandfather's farm house (about 1920).
I like your style.

Rob

Dave MacArthur
06-09-2007, 3:50 AM
Very nice Reg. After the one comment about the even reveal, I went back and looked again, and it grew on me how difficult that narrow a reveal is to get so even, without the aid of euro hinges with 10 axis adjustment screws! Nice look, and glad you mentioned the wood--I don't think I've ever seen chestnut before.

Chris Barton
06-09-2007, 7:13 AM
Hi Reg,

Cabinet looks good! To me one of the hardest things to do is flushing up inset doors and drawers with a good even reveal all the way around and yours looks perfect!

Don Bullock
06-09-2007, 9:16 AM
Reg, those are looking good. I think Rob is correct. It looks like your cabinets would fit in nicely with his grandmother's hutch from the same era. Using the reclamed wormy chestnut from some older building is a super idea. That's beautiful wood for your project. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the final project.

Reg Mitchell
06-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Rob, That is a beautiful cabinet and the look I am going for. Most kitches are what I call now warm and comfterable and that is the "feel" I want.
The inset is a little tougher to get right. I give the credit to the tools. I do what I can to set them up to cut square and stright take my time and mark as close as I can. The mortis and tendons are the key to getting them square.
I just wish I could jump in there and build the cabinets and see how they look but There are a few other projects going on that need attention too but rest assured Vicky, after seeing this, isn't gonna let me sleep too much till I get them done
Reg

Bill Huber
06-09-2007, 1:29 PM
Reg, I think they look great and will really look good in the house you are putting them in.

They look old and that is what I am sure you are going for.

Make sure when you do finish them you post some shots.

Martin Shupe
06-09-2007, 2:30 PM
Nice cabinet. Someday I'd like to make something with a little chestnut lumber.

Reg Mitchell
06-16-2007, 1:18 AM
Well I was going to use this in the shop to put tools in and hang it on the wall. But while I was thinking of what to move into it I hear a little voice behind me " that would look good in the bathroom hanging on the wall and another cabinet on the floor under it would be real nice". Well you know the drill. Sooooooo here is the one that gos "on the floor under it"
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/cradle089.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/cradle093.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/male_man/cradle092.jpg
I will be keping the door locked.
The glass is cool looking. It's a distressed seedie type and has little bubbles in it.
Reg

Jim Becker
06-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey...look at it this way...you have a repeat customer!