PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Dominic Greco

Alfredo Rodriguez Garcia
06-08-2007, 5:28 PM
Thanks Dominic.

Bill Wyko
06-08-2007, 6:01 PM
Nice setup. I have the same one I believe. I really like your balast box too.

Bernie Weishapl
06-08-2007, 7:35 PM
That is a good looking setup. Balast box looks great.

Jerry Pittman
06-08-2007, 8:45 PM
Dominic,
I'm new here; been reading for about a month but this is my first post. I currently have a Jet mini lathe and am ready to move up.
I see you have the Jet 1442; that is one of the lathes I am considering. How long have you had it, how much have you used it, have you had any problems with is, anything you don't like about it?
I've read on other forums that some people don't care for the variable speed setup; what's your opinion?
It seems like a decent lathe for the money but I'd appreciate an owners opinion.
For that matter, anyone's opinion of it, owner or not.
Thanks,
Jerry

Christopher K. Hartley
06-08-2007, 8:58 PM
Cool Alfredo!! Nice setup! Have fun with her! I sure did with mine.:)

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 9:46 PM
¡Bueno!

A very nice implementation of Dominic's system!!!

Dominic Greco
06-10-2007, 8:53 PM
Jerry,
The JWL-1442 is the mechanical (Reeves drive) variable speed version, while the 1642 (which is what I have) is the electronic variable speed version.

I've owned a 1 1/2 HP Jet 1642EVS since they first hit the market back in 2002 -2003. Since that time I've turned everything from big salad bowls, to peppermills, to bottle stopper and pens. I have zero complaints about my Jet. The variable speed control is fantastic and very easy to use. I'd be interested in hearing these problems you're talking about. Anyone who I've talked to, who also has this lathe, has never mentioned any problems with the vari-drive to me.

See ya around,
Dominic

Dominic Greco
06-10-2007, 8:55 PM
Thanks Dominic.

Glad to see those plans are coming in handy!

Alfredo Rodriguez Garcia
06-11-2007, 9:30 AM
Gracias Dominic
for sharing your knowledge
and experience.
Best Regards
Alfredo

Jerry Pittman
06-11-2007, 7:36 PM
Jerry,
The JWL-1442 is the mechanical (Reeves drive) variable speed version, while the 1642 (which is what I have) is the electronic variable speed version.

I've owned a 1 1/2 HP Jet 1642EVS since they first hit the market back in 2002 -2003. Since that time I've turned everything from big salad bowls, to peppermills, to bottle stopper and pens. I have zero complaints about my Jet. The variable speed control is fantastic and very easy to use. I'd be interested in hearing these problems you're talking about. Anyone who I've talked to, who also has this lathe, has never mentioned any problems with the vari-drive to me.

See ya around,
Dominic
Alfredo,
Sorry for the bother. I assumed you have a 1442 because picture you show is exactly what a 1442 with Reeves drive looks like currently; motor behind headstock and large lever for speed control on the lower right front of the headstock. Whereas, the 1642EVS has the motor hanging out the left side of the headstock and no lever for speed control.
I have read that the 1442 with Reeves drive can have some vibration and is tough on belts.
Jerry

Alfredo Rodriguez Garcia
06-12-2007, 9:57 AM
Jeremy,
it is a new toy and I have not
any problem yet.
I am newbie in woodturning and
I like to learn (I am a researcher).
Perhaps some other creeker,
like Dominic, could answer your
questions
Saludos cordiales
Alfredo

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Nice work, Dom has some great ideas. eh!;)