PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for variable speed mini lathe

Bob Weisner
01-09-2004, 1:16 PM
Hi:

I will be looking to buy a new mini lathe when the winter is over and I need suggestions as to which mini lathe would be a good buy. I currently have 3 lathes , one of which is a ryobi mini lathe that no longer runs. Here is what I am looking for in a mini lathe:

1. Variable speed.

2. Cast iron bed.

3. The ability to do outboard turning.

4. Good warranty

5. easy availability of parts if the lathe needs to be repaired.

6. priced under $500.00

Thanks,

Bob

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-09-2004, 2:03 PM
Bob, my 2 cents worth would be to give the Jet Mini Lathe, with the VS option, a serious look. It fits most of your requirements, and I think it is a great little machine. Actually, it is a little machine that thinks it's a BIG machine. When I was in the market for a Mini, the Jet was highly recommended by many, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Like I said above, just my 2 cents worth. ;)

Jim Becker
01-09-2004, 3:05 PM
Requirement number 4 will be very tough to accomodate, but otherwise, the Jet VS Mini/Midi is a good place to be. It's a good machine and with the available bed extender, can also work well for furniture projects should you need that capablity.

Richard Allen
01-09-2004, 3:44 PM
How about a Mercury mini lathe?

Bob Weisner
01-09-2004, 4:20 PM
Hi:

I remember record used to make lathes. Are they still making lathes and do they make a mini lathe?

Thanks,

Bob

Richard Allen
01-09-2004, 9:39 PM
Record made a mini. It was a tank. It lacked most of the stuff you requested and has old technology for the banjo and tailstock. When the Jet came out with there mini 5 years ago the Record faded from woodtuning radar. They do have a 24" lathe that might be had for $500 or less but it isn't variable speed and it really is old technology. Not a lathe I would recomend unless you are fond of old iron. The full size Record is a nice lathe if you can get it used.

Dale Thompson
01-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Bob,
I just received the Jet Mini from Santa and have not really had a chance to put it through its paces. On the other hand, my "main" lathe is a PM 3520. I see a lot of similar features on the Jet VS Mini. It would be idiotic to compare the two because they are meant for different markets. On the other hand, I would (in fact, DID) buy the Jet VS Mini because it is a fine lathe. The finish is good and the moving parts appear to work very smoothly. I can't wait to get some "tough" stuff on that baby and see who is best - it or me. OK folks - No sarcastic comments. I already KNOW the odds!! :o

Dale T.

Stan Smith
01-10-2004, 5:04 PM
I used to have a Jet 1236 and went to the Jet mini when I discovered that all I was doing was making small stuff. The vs was not out at that time and I sure would go for that feature now. It's really not difficult to change the belt pulleys, but it must be done manually. That little lathe just hums away and I have really been impressed with it. I was able to use all of my stuff from my previous lathe except the jumbo jaws since the mt and tpi are the same.

Stan

Charles Bjorgen
01-10-2004, 7:08 PM
Bob -- The Teknatool Mercury is the only lathe that fills ALL your requirements, including outboard turning. Be aware, however, that outboard turning with the optional outboard attachment on this lathe is for fairly simple platters and shallow bowls. Apparently, Woodcraft has an exclusive for selling this lathe but I believe they can probably supply parts and repairs if needed. I've had one for about a year and a half and love it. I too wanted variable speed in a portable lathe so at the time the Mercury was my choice, purchased with one bed extension. I have a larger 16-inch swing lathe for larger work.

I have to say that had the Jet been available with VS at the time, I probably would have bought that. The Jet VS lathe has been criticized for having a minimum 500 rpm speed. While I agree that lower rpm would be better, consider that the minimum rpm on the regular Jet or Delta Midi is also 500.

Hi:

I will be looking to buy a new mini lathe when the winter is over and I need suggestions as to which mini lathe would be a good buy. I currently have 3 lathes , one of which is a ryobi mini lathe that no longer runs. Here is what I am looking for in a mini lathe:

1. Variable speed.
2. Cast iron bed.
4. Good warranty
6. priced under $500.00

Thanks,

Bob

Ken Salisbury
01-11-2004, 7:41 AM
Hi:

Here is what I am looking for in a mini lathe:

Thanks,
Bob
The Jet Mini VS would be the lathe I would suggest except for the fact it does not meet your #3 requirement. I have been using a Jet Mini for quite some time and I consider it a great piece of equipment.

Todd Swanson
08-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi:

1. Variable speed.

2. Cast iron bed.

4. Good warranty

6. priced under $500.00

Thanks,

Bob
Would you be willing to sell your headstock and tailstock spindle shanks from the Ryobi? I have one that I only use occasionally, but have lost the tailstock shank and am having trouble finding one that fits. It's a #1 Morse taper, but shorter than the standard #1 MT, I think.

Jeremy Miller
03-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Bob, I am currently using a ryobi mini lathe and would be interested in your old non working version to have for parts. Let me know if we can work something out.

Scott Conners
03-05-2009, 1:38 PM
The Jet mini is a great machine, it has constantly surprised me. Turning outboard on a sub-$500 mini lathe which will generally only have a 1/2hp motor however, is not really an option. I can easily stall the motor with a 9" bowl, turning something larger outboard would require using the lowest speed and incredibly light cuts. "Mini" and "large outboard" don't really go together, nor does the $500 budget and larger outboard pieces. If outboard is more important than mini, you might consider looking for a used lathe, perhaps something like the Jet 1236 which has a variable speed reeves drive and a swivel headstock. What did you intend to do with outboard capabilities?

alex carey
03-05-2009, 2:36 PM
I think the lathe your looking for is the General International Maxi 200.
3/4HP
It has Out boarding capabilities up to 16", the headstock slides on the bed and rotates. Variable Speed and cast iron. 2 year warranty. Replacement parts are in Canada, I had to replace some stuff and they were very helpful.

The only big problem with this is that it doesn't meet your last criteria. I think it cost around 650$. But trust me you are getting a lot more than other lathes. It weighs 50 pounds more than the jet 1220, the belts are easier to change, it has 1/4 hp than some of the other mini lathes. Overall I think it is a more stable lathe.

I don't know if this helps and I know I didn't fill all the criteria but I figured more information is better.

Alex

Ken Fitzgerald
03-05-2009, 2:42 PM
Hey guys......Read the thread....

This thread is nearly 5 years old and Bob is a guest and can't post here any longer.

I hope he's got his lathe problems resolved by now!

alex carey
03-05-2009, 2:46 PM
...Dont I feel silly. How did this even get dug up.

Jeff Nicol
03-05-2009, 4:39 PM
Hey guys......Read the thread....

This thread is nearly 5 years old and Bob is a guest and can't post here any longer.

I hope he's got his lathe problems resolved by now!
I notice a lot of posts on even the recent threads have a lot of redundency, almost word for word. I think many do not take the time to read the whole list of replies before they reply. It kind of defeats the purpose sometimes if 4 or five posts say go here and check this out, isn't once enough?

So like Ken says read the posts and you will see what is what........

I liked reading all the posts to this one as the answers have been given a 1000 times...

Jeff