PDA

View Full Version : Brown came today

Jack Roest
06-08-2007, 3:37 PM
UPS came today with a package from California. In it was to be a collet extension for my router worth $24 He wanted $21.49 for taxes and brokerage fees. He left with the package. No way was I going to pay an amount almost equal to the value to the contents for taxes and brokerage fees. When he left he did say the package may come back with reduced fees. Thanks for listening to my rant. Jack

Jim Becker
06-08-2007, 3:45 PM
Jack, based on many posts by folks over time, this is pretty common situation. Some vendors have distribution centers on both sides of the border which helps to get around this issue (Lee Valley is an example) but the average US-side vendor does not.

Jeff Considine
06-08-2007, 3:47 PM
I had the same experience from the other side of the border. I shipped a package to a friend outside Edmonton - paid $48 to get it to the border, the "broker" charged my buddy another $68 to deliver it, which UPS also wanted to bill me for.

What a racket. Their service is brown allright...

Mike Heidrick
06-08-2007, 5:26 PM
UPS came today with a package from California. In it was to be a collet extension for my router worth $24 He wanted $21.49 for taxes and brokerage fees. He left with the package. No way was I going to pay an amount almost equal to the value to the contents for taxes and brokerage fees. When he left he did say the package may come back with reduced fees. Thanks for listening to my rant. Jack

Anyway I can help from this side of the fence? Need to buy yourself a gift through me?