PDA

View Full Version : Need help with door type decision.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Hi All, I'm making a storage cabinet in my bathroom and need help with making a door for this. The unit is about 7 feet tall by 16" wide and will have two doors. I want to paint the doors white. What type of door would you use here and how would you trim out around them? Thanks. Alan

Nancy Laird
06-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Alan, do you have a vanity with doors in the bathroom. It would probably be nice to design doors for the cabinets to be as close as the vanity. That said---a unit 7 feet tall is pretty powerful, so the doors shouldn't be too fancy IMHO - I'd go with a plain rail and stile door with a 1/4" ply/hardboard insert. These would be overlay doors, so I'm not understanding your inquiry about "trim out around them." Is this a closet or a cabinet? Pictures would help, if you have them.

Nancy

glenn bradley
06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
I would try to match the other cabinets on the same wall. Can't tell from the pic, maybe there aren't any others. If not, match the door(?).

Alan Tolchinsky
06-08-2007, 2:11 PM
Thanks for your ideas. There should be a pic now. The trim I'm referring to is to hide the gap between the plywood boxes and the drywall. I need to cover that then add a door. I don't want the door to stick out from the wall that much. I do have a cherry cabinet in the room but I want to paint this to match the door right next to it. Any other ideas? Thank you much.

Jay Keller
06-08-2007, 3:29 PM
MDF ultralite material makes nice doors if your going to paint.